Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor

Article about: Stonemint, that is one truly exceptional cap, in excellent condition, who knows it could even be the one in the photo, ive never heard or even seen one before now, it has always amazed me ju

Default A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor

This hat is extremely rare, and in fact, is the only one I know of in the world (at least for an officer-equivalent rank.) It is also one of the very few true color-piped Luftwaffe officer visors as well (ie, not an NCO with added Officer insignia--this one was factory-made).

It is for a Feuerschutzbeamte of the Fliegerhorstfeuerwehren, or Air Field Fire Brigades. These guys were the ones responsible for damage control and fire-extinguishing as a result of air raids, accidents, or damaged planes coming back.

Only 2 ranks could wear this visor, which accounts for its scarcity--Brandmeister and Hauptbrandmeister.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor
    P
    Many

Default Re: A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor

The hat is an early Erel, but the date has worn off. Like a civilian member of the Feuerwehr, the body is dark-blue wool (in this case doeskin) with carmine piping.

There is a common myth that "Standard"-class visors did not get the Erel vented cockade, but this one has one. It is also just as heavily-padded as any of my "Privat"-class visors as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor  

A major difference between this and your standard LW officer's hat is the fact that it has a Heer-style visor, but more importantly, a black wool band (not ribbed mohair or velvet):

Beautiful cap......................................!
    Regards,

Steve.

A comparison of my NCO version and the Officer's:

Here is the interior--this hat was worn hard, but is intact. It is also a Verkaufs Abteilung d. LW piece:
    Attached Images Attached Images A True Color-Piped Luftwaffe Erel Officer's Visor 

This is the only picture I know of one of these in wear.

?

Stonemint, that is one truly exceptional cap, in excellent condition, who knows it could even be the one in the photo, ive never heard or even seen one before now, it has always amazed me just how many diverse caps there are within the Third Reich inventory, perhaps one day we will see a collector with every known cap there is , what a sight that would be.

?

Damn fine cap lad.
    SteveR

A very fine, rare piece. You certainly have a magnet for finding obscure caps!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast