Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Visor cap display solutions?

Article about: Here is a hat on a standard Michaels cotton pillow. No pressure on the visor, as the visor follows the pillow drop-off. I also put one moth ball on the pillow:

Default Visor cap display solutions?

Friends, I'm seeking elegant solutions to the display and simultaneous preservation of visor caps. One of my biggest concerns is the continued resting of the hat on the visor. I'm particularly worried about my Heer cap, which has a moderately "wobbly" visor. It's in no danger of coming off--yet, but I'm apprehensive about what continually applied pressure will do to these 70 year old relics of mine.

My other concern is shaping. I'm looking for a display method that simultaneously keeps the cap off its visor and forms the cap back more towards its original shape.

Admittedly, foam heads are dorky and bulky to me, not to mention I have little room for them. I can't attest to how well they would reshape a hat...

I am probably asking for too ideal of a solution, aren't I? Thanks for any ideas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visor cap display solutions?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Visor cap display solutions?

Just had that problem with old, but in fact never used, Belgian colonial caps that have been stored badly for over 50 years!!
    Visors are badly out of shape. but once they are on a form with the exact measurments, they do come back in to the right form.
    Has the pictures below show. One is a very big 64 size and doesnt come right on the 56 size head, on the thirtd pic.
    All you would need in fact is the top of a head that come deep enough in order to keep the shape of the cap and makes the cap not resting on the visor.
    I know such things existed in the old days; the where made in two parts of wood with a big screw so the size could be adjusted to the hat or cap.
    I might work something out one of these days.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor cap display solutions?   Visor cap display solutions?  

Visor cap display solutions?  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Tony, I use glass display heads which can be bought from shop fittings supliers for about £10 each.

This cap was once very badly crushed and had the visor broken off. Here it is when I initially restored it. Looks even better now after being on the head a few years.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor cap display solutions?  

locloc08, you are quite right to be worried about thread degredation on peaks when hats are on display unsuppported....a cheap alternative is at hand !...simply take a cardboard tube (pringle type) or tin can (coffee type), cut to size required, I spray mine a satin black, then either affix lid back on or attach a strip of cotton material around rim, see attached photographs. Simply pack your hat with old clean cotton materials (old T-Shirt) to shape around the sweatband and place on your ''hand made'' support ...voila'... I also use ''shell'' cases for heavier objects, Pickelhaubes, steel helmets etc. The Prussian NCO Dunkle-blau cap shown was quite badly mishaped and missing its stiffner, but is know quite presentable displayed this way (it gets a crusher cap look to it!)....also the eye is immediatly drawn to the cap/hat and not the display 'head'.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor cap display solutions?   Visor cap display solutions?  

Visor cap display solutions?   Visor cap display solutions?  

Last edited by oradour; 07-24-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Gents...and dont forget to clean those caps and helmets every so often !
    Attached Images Attached Images Visor cap display solutions? 

I would prefere seing a general support on to the crown then on to the top of a cap, especialy for later (then WWI ) caps...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Kris, I agree, but with my method you can add as much support as you feel necessary, to compansate for the hats weight, admittidly Imperial caps dont have any weight to them when compared to later hats.

I have tried numerous methods over the years and finally decided to make my own. I take a wood dowel/spindal (bought from the local hardware/lumber outlet like home depot) and attach it to a wood base that I cut to my desired design. Stain them to the color I prefer. For the actual head piece I go to Walmart and buy a stryofoam ball, cut it in half and shape it to the particular hat I plan to mount. I then cover the stryofoam with cloth or the wifes old panty hose and attach it to the top of the dowel. Best way to attach it is to cut a piece of wood to the shape of the finished stryofoam and screw it to the dowel, glue the stryofoam to the wood then cover it with your material and staple the material to the bottom of the wood. It makes for a nice display and is fitted to the hat/helmet in question. Cost less than $8 per stand. Works for me.

Terry

Attached Images Attached Images Visor cap display solutions? 

Thanks for the tips, guys! (that's a very clever rig, Terry! ) Please let me know if you have any more.

I recommend using either small pillows (I get mine at Michael's craft stores) or car-wash sponges. The sponges can be cut down and completely eliminate any pressure on the visor, and help the hat keep its shape (and also eliminates the bulge on the crown from a head-form).

I use both methods.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast