Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Visors from Film & TV

Article about: Just watched a film I had not seen for decades: "Night of the Generals" with Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif. (The movie has held up very well over the years, and if you have not see

Es geschah am 20. Juli, a docudrama, with Bernhard Wicki as Stauffenberg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visors from Film & TV  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visors from Film & TV
    P
    Many

There is a n urban legend that James Mason was wearing an original Rommel hat in "The Desert Fox."
    Definitely not--compare to the originals:

Actual General's Visor cap taken from Erwin Rommel "the Desert Fox" home in WWII

Just to add to Stonemint's comments about the hat used in the Desert Fox movie with James Mason, a friend of mine owned the actual
    visor cap that was used in the movie, and yes it was a reconstruction.

Mark S, who lives here in Australia owned the movie cap some years back, and posted a couple of images on the WAF yesterday with his
    comments, I have copied his comments and photos, so here they are:-

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

"I stumbled onto to these old pics today

many years ago I owned the Generals cap worn by James Mason in the movie Rommel.

The film costumer designer visited Manfred Rommel and copied Rommel Generals cap to make for the movie, as seen in the photo below

I offered it around to several local collectors without success and end up selling on Ebay, it now resides somewhere in the USA

Mark S"
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Bob, thanks for that post.
    However, Mason is wearing a bullion wreath on his in the movie, while your friend's is bullion--any idea as to the difference in wreaths?

?

Cap cords, visor and the position of the eagle and the eagle itself (Masons' is bent) also seem different. The costume designer, however, seems to haven taken his task seriously - he drew the cap with all details.

As ever, Wolfgang is right. Many of these German and Austrian films of the 1950s do indeed have authentic items in them.
    Such material was hardly scarce.
    The films themselves are especially commendable for their reflection about the reality of war and the regime.
    This fact is especially so when compared to certain more recent films about the war, which are painful to watch
    because of the appalling content, the child like, action figure actors, etc.; whereas the historical accuracy of the uniforms, for what it is worth, are often better than in former times.

This visor has the shape of Rommel's 1st DAK visor, but it is missing the chincords.
    I wonder where it is now....
    Attached Images Attached Images Visors from Film & TV 

[QUOTE=stonemint;1716642]Bob, thanks for that post.
    However, Mason is wearing a bullion wreath on his in the movie, while your friend's is bullion

Just got this back from Mark, in response to your query....

From memory, I’m going back 20 odd years ago, cap was used in other films and insignia had been stripped at some point
    I think eagle is original, cockade replaced
    Its same cap if you look closely at the saddle shape and how it dips around the edge
    Came with certificate from 2oth Century Fox when sold off.
    Of course no one can be 100% certain unless you were James Mason

?

It is of course of no importance, but this hat really looks different (otherwise the peak/visor was exchanged, too). There is a nice close-up colour picture here which makes the differences obvious:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...e5dd55d9116874

and one in b/w here:
    https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...7ef7ab48ed209c

and here:
    https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...561c069a57fd19

I agree, it does not appear to be the same hat:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visors from Film & TV   Visors from Film & TV  

Visors from Film & TV  
    Last edited by stonemint; 03-15-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast