Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

W-SS Officer's Schirmmütze

Article about: Hello Friends, any opinions for this? Thx all

Default re: W-SS Officer's Schirmmütze

The crown piping of this cap above is a give away as to its dodgy character in my opinion. In my experience of the Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik/Kostumfundus Dr. Breuer/Muenchen caps, there existed sufficient real Muetzentrikot versus this Einheitstuch or Eskimo Tuch. The SS caps from Breuer I have seen since 1970 were either Doeskin or Trikot.

As my illustration below suggest, authentic SS caps were indeed made of this rough cloth, but of the appropriate light weight suitable for something to wear on one's Kopf. Overcoats are made from especially heavy wool, which is a give away.

Attached is a SS real cap (the twin to the one on the cover of the Wilkins book) It came from Shea with the cap on the cover of the Wilkins book. The one here was purportedly worn for Halloween parties, but has survived all the same...

I should have been tickled pink to have such a thing for my costume forty five years ago....

For our Moravian friends, Dr. Peter Breuer was a Munich personality of the 1950s and 1960s who supported the film industry in southern Germany, had a lot of authentic regalia and also made up militaria likely for US occupation troops as well as tourists and whomever. Among his specialties were fake black SS uniforms rendered from the 1952 model Bundesgrenzschutz uniform and the peaked caps in their number made for a noted US dagger dealer and ex US Army officer. This man was a one of a number of expatriate Americans in the cold war era who made a living with this material and whose imprint endures. These caps often had the phrase "Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik" and the address on the Wilhlemstrasse of a leading ministry and famous Prussian palace of a certain nobleman. That is, the address was bogus like the caps.

The sweat diamonds of these caps were plastic, and have generally been extracted as the years have marched on.

A leading author and publisher of III. Reich literature tried to sell one of these to me in the 1990s, which I demurred. Maybe he thought it was real.

The collector argot describes this kind of cap as an "alteste" without the proper umlaut. Certain collectors consider these 1960s caps to be the non plus ultra of old fakes, an opinion to which I cannot subscribe. They were cheaply made, but likely by hands that made authentic caps prior to 1945. There were in fact better old fake caps, maybe made by the firm of Erich Beinhorn or also Kupper with Bundeswehr components.
    Happy collecting and greetings to Moravia....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob clark wss x 2.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	16316  
    damit, basta.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I agree with 99% of Herr Friedrich-Berthold's analysis, with the exception of their being cheaply made. The late ones were, but the early ones used much in the way of original parts and used celluloid sweatdiamonds and leather sweatbands.

One of these is an Alteste Berliner--can you guess which?:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gend.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	16318  

Are you sure?

It is the one on the right. Correct mottled-green police wool (and it could be from a Mantel, or left-over stock). Rumor was Herr Breuer bought out the remaining inventory of August Muller (located in Munich), and hired some of the old employees. Their shape, imho, was the truest of all repros:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try again:

Name:	IMG_0937.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	16324  

Like a Pekuro, this one has a rust-colored velvet Stirndruckfrei feature, and never had a sweatshield. It would fool 98% of collectors even today (no synthetics, nothing glows):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Close-up:

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	16326  

This is an Alteste with the sweatdiamond removed (and not all were imprinted on the lining):

Name:	alteste.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	16327  

Here is one with a celluloid sweatdiamond:

Name:	altestewittman%233.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	16328  

Always check for serial #s behind the sweatband. Alteste used them on a few, but not all. You will commonly see these lot stamps on 1950's and 1960's Austrian and BRD headgear--if you see it on a purported TR visor, run, don't walk:

Name:	alttripleserial.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	16329  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast