Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps

Article about: The greens are always tough. Technically, the green of Admin should match the green of the band, but that is not always so.

?

Default Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the piping colors on a couple of caps that caught my eye. Figuring out these colors can be a pain over the computer.

The seller claims the first cap is either a penal cap (highly unlikely, and doesn't appear to be so) or a Jäger, but the color doesn't look quite bright enough to me (though the colors of the Jäger did change somewhat throughout the TR). Opinions on what color it is?

The second cap the seller claims is a chaplain's assistant. While the piping does look violet, it doesn't look as violet as others I've seen. It almost looks like a medical cap. Opinions? Thanks a lot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps   Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Waffenfarbe on a couple of caps

Tough call on the first one. The piping does seem to be feldgrau though and not faded Jäger green.

I agree with you on the second, looks like Medical. I've never heard of a Chaplain's assistant.

?

The problem I have is that Jäger wore almost a dark forest green. Really, the only other type of green used was Panzergrenadiers, but that's more of a lime green. The color shown is almost a dirty olive. It is perplexing.

Thanks for the opinions.

?

There is also the green waffenfarbe of officials or administrators but it's not that either IMO.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    There is also the green waffenfarbe of officials or administrators but it's not that either IMO.
    I agree. The admin color is almost a variant of the Jäger - a type of forest green. I've looked everywhere at different variations of anything green, grenadiers, jägers, admin, and nothing looks like the one posted.

Waffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of capsHello

Green is always perplexing on German piping. There were actually four different greens used. Admin dark green dunklegrun, PzGr resada green resadagrun (lime green), Jager Lt green Hellgrun (which is the darkest shade besides Admin), and Rifle Regt green weisengrun (grass green). Then when you combine fading and wear along, with shortages when substitutes had to be made, it makes for a wide variance of shades. Also the Jagers wore both Lt green (dark green) and grass green sometimes while the PZ Gr wore all three shades (except for the Admin dark green) sometimes the solder could be wearing two different shades as well on each shoulder strap do to shortages.

As for the two caps in this thread, looks to be either a faded Lt Green (Hellgrun) or a grass green (weisengrun) either way Pzgr or Mot Rifle, or possibly Jager. And a Medical blue piping on the second.

Here is a link to Waffenfarbe worn in North Afrika and the Balkans during 1941-42. Hopefully it may be of some help.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...41-42-a-27412/

The photos show a CW tropical sidecap with Hellgrun (sometimes Jager but also Schutzen), a tropical shoulderstrap with resadagrun (PzGr) and a pair of DAK shoulderstraps with Weisengrun (Mot Rifle).
    However the cap in question does not really resemble any of these examples.....
    Last edited by Tim OKeefe; 04-30-2011 at 10:53 AM.

?

I believe the first visor has had the piping dyed to look like Penal; see my original Penal visors piping. The 2nd is definitely a medical NCO.
    Use extreme caution on that site - a LOT of "questionable" headgear IMHO.Waffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of caps

?

Thanks guys. I definitely don't think it's penal. It looks close in color to the hat's, but for a penal one, there is too much of a variation. Thanks again.

It's an interesting site that these caps are on.

I would always question a penal cap because why would the cap have the national insignia on ? My understanding was that soldiers saving in penal battalions were stripped of their insignia and rank. A thought and only my opinion.

The green piping question is also another difficult call as shades and dyes vary from cap to cap and maker to maker. The second cap is not chaplin, assistant or otherwise IMO. More likely medical than anything else.

picture of three of mine....Jager, gebirgsjager and admin.. if this helps in any way.

Waffenfarbe on a couple of capsWaffenfarbe on a couple of caps

Erich,

Just re-read my post and did'nt word it quite right.

In case of any mis-understanding I am not questionning the authenticity of your cap in any way !

cheers

tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast