Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What did I buy at auction?

Article about: Well worth the wait! Nice one. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: What did I buy at auction?

I hope it arrives soon!

Cheers, Pat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Not yet Jerry. Having to rely on a company called Mailboxes to send it to me and they are bloody useless.
    Is it coming by carrier snail?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I tried to contact the auction house to pay for this cap on the Monday after the Friday auction. No joy, phone lines engaged all day, same thing Tuesday. Finaly got through on Wednesday. They don't post anything themselves but suggest I use this mailbox company. So I arrange for them to pick up the cap from the auction house, pack it and send it to me. For some reason they cant tell how much this will cost despite me telling them the approx weight and size of the item, it's just a hat for gods sake. Anyway, a week goes by and I've heard nothing so I ring them up and they tell me that their "lad" went round to collect the auction items but mine doesn't exist! So once again I have to ring up the auction house and they don't know why I was told that because my hat is sitting waiting to be picked up etc etc. Finaly, mailboxes pick up the hat but when I talked to them yesterday, the guy tells me that he's very busy packing up 80 china plates and won't get to my hat until the end of the week. That will make it 3 weeks since the auction end and they still haven't given me a quote or taken payment.

It would have been quicker to walk to the auction and walk back to London.

This is the kind of muppetry that riddles the UK and people wonder why we can't get the economy going!

Hope you receive the cap soon, Ben. It looks like a really
    nice one - and for a killer price.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Jeez Ben, what a pile of pooh! I have bought and received half a dozen items in that time.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

You could have made a whole new cap in that time Ben.. Has it turned up yet??
    Best of luck old chap
    Steve

?

Can't beleive I'm saying this but I'm still waiting for them to send it!

That is really very poor

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I'm in shock because it finaly arrived today! Hoorah!!

But it's not a Paul Kaps, Boo!

However, the great news is that yes, it does have an intact interior (I couldn't be sure having only seen the one photo) and it is in fact, much rarer than a Kaps.

It's made by a hardly ever seen maker, M. Drechsler of Muenchen. I've only ever seen a handful of hats by this maker before, one Art. Officers schirmmuetze, one Luft NCO and a couple of civil caps. Would never have guessed it was by this maker, had to search WAF just to remind myself.

Add in the factor that it was built with a leather peak even though the rest is made like a regular service cap, rigid card pasteboard, padding etc, also equals very rare. Apart from Paul Kaps which are the exception to all the rules, you rarely find a Heer service cap with a leather peak. The usual finds are Feldmuetzen Alter Art style caps or regular Schirmmuetzen.

Sorry for the crap photos and mess in my workshop, it's the only place with enough light to take a photo this evening. They didn't forget the chincords when they sent it, but it is missing the buttons and I can't find my box of spare bits yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3900.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	402772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3901.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	402773  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3902.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	402774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3903.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	402775  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3904.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	402776  

?

Here's the Luft cap posted on WAF.

It's noticable that this maker liked to use darker then normal stained leather sweatbands.

I'll post some better photos of mine later but there is evidence of high quality here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drechsler.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	402797  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast