Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What did I buy at auction?

Article about: Well worth the wait! Nice one. Cheers, Ade.

?

Default What did I buy at auction?

Bit of fun for a Saturday night!

Bought this yesterday. I only saw it at the last minute and barely had time to register online for the live auction so was in a complete panic especially when my boss wanted to have a chat with me with only a few minutes to go. It was a proper auction house, not ebay and I was listening in live to the auctioneer doing his stuff on my headphones. He's not hanging about, average one lot per minute sold. Anyway, got rid of my boss just in time to hear my lot come up, "Lot 562, German Officers cap with chincords, starting bid £150"
    Bang! someone in the room bids 150 straight away so I bid 160, he bids again 170 and I click the bid button again but I hear the auctioneer say "sold for £170!" What? I clicked the bloody button! I'm now swearing out aloud and everyone in my office is looking at me! but wait, no..he says that an online bidder just got in and won it for £180, that's me. Hooray!! Phew, that was exciting!

So here is the cap, I have no idea what the interior looks like, maybe it doesn't even have one! Don't try this at home kids!
    Those of you who know your caps will be able to tell why I bid on this though.

Who could the maker be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What did I buy at auction?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What did I buy at auction?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What did I buy at auction?

Well it has a very nice visor, nice insignia work and the quality is nice. (dont laugh) Could it be a Paul Kaps?

Nice buy Ben. I wish the auction house near me had things like this.

Cheers, Pat

Looks nice with the leather peak. I hope its a good one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    (dont laugh) Could it be a Paul Kaps?
    I'm not laughing because you spotted that it might be Paul Kaps straight away Pat, that's very impressive my friend!

What made you think of Kaps?

?

Excellent! The visor and the quality made me think of Kaps.

An excellent cap and do post more pics when you get it.

Cheers, Pat

Don't know a thing about caps, but it sounds like you got a bargain, yes? Online auctions are a blast when you can listen in.

?

Well, depends. It will only be a bargain if the interior is intact. Can't see why it wouldn't be though.

Pat, you're spot on about the quality but there are specific things that might make it a Kaps. Any idea what they are?

?

Hmmmm.....

The piping?

Cheers, Pat
    Last edited by M18922; 08-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.

A pretty cap mate, I could see my self getting into these. Or at least getting one nice example.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Pat, you're spot on about the quality but there are specific things that might make it a Kaps. Any idea what they are?
    Most of the Kaps visors I recall seem to have that same very thick piping at the crown, a very short/jaunty top [above the band], with a kind of "rolled-back" peak, and what I always felt was extra padding at the crown - especially at the sides . . . I am impressed with Pat too, spotting [what presumably is] a Kaps visor from this pic - good job!

By the way Ben, I found the auction-house online from where you missed out on the ASS cap the other day - sorry I couldn't help . . . but in my opinion, it would have turned out to be too much of a hack-job to bring it back - that cockade would have killed the deal for me - especially at that price . . . and just what are you up to nowadays . . . bargain-hunting all of the online-auctions across the globe? What is this world coming to???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast