Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?

Article about: This is your chance to list what you want to see discussed. Would you like more details of how to spot fakes? Would you like more information about the history and evolution of particlular s

Default Re: What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?

This is the perfect forum.
    I will only say the same thing.
    More emoticons
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  
    Attached Images Attached Images What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?  What would forum members like to discuss or see changed? 
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?
    P
    Many

Hi

I would second Pat's idea on a sticky for reference books. I am more than happy to populate this with the books I own and critiques of them and their value to the collector/enthusiast.

cheers

tony

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    This is a pet peeve that I have... Often when someone new posts an item asking for opinions, some experienced members will respond with "fake", "no good", "", etc.

While I understand that not everyone has 10mins to devote to each response post they make, more information is generally appreciated and it helps lesser experienced members to learn!

As such, I REALLY appreciate all posts that are specific. For example: "Your badge is fake because of the lack of detail in the track area of the tank. Notice the lack of detail of the grass, too!" or "Note the age on your helmet. The wear seems too artificial. The scratches are too uniform, and isn't it odd that the helmet has scratches everywhere BUT on decal?"
    We do try to challenge the "it's fake " type posts on this forum to encourage more discussion and exchange of information so please feel free to ask someone to clarify their opinion !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    We do try to challenge the "it's fake " type posts on this forum to encourage more discussion and exchange of information so please feel free to ask someone to clarify their opinion !!
    There are far too many terse, abrupt, and impolite kind of posts in general. Also, there is a highly irritating tendency to offer no thanks when someone has made a large effort to explain things.

If someone exerts themselves for your benefit, kindly thank them with a minimum of courtesy.

As concerns literature, the actual number of books devoted to headwear in the English language is small.

I would be happy to add to such a thread.

How about an "On Hold" option for sellers to edit their ad?

?

I will happily post a sticky thread in regards to books and reading material.

I'm not the best person to contribute though as I've only read one book on the subject.

In reality, there are already a ton of bibliographical citations spread out in these posts, generously conceived. In the narrow sense, the list of titles on head wear is not especially long, and of mixed quality. I will be happy to help out, in any case.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    In reality, there are already a ton of bibliographical citations spread out in these posts, generously conceived.
    And I would suggest that members take the time to search and read them rather than rely on "guide" books which sometimes are strewn with errors.

What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    And I would suggest that members take the time to search and read them rather than rely on "guide" books which sometimes are strewn with errors.
    I suppose that the Wilkins book is the logical point of departure, but it is far from perfect. But if one has read nothing else, it is a good place to start. It becomes fixated on Lubstein, and also on free of forehead pressure in odd ways that are disorienting.

The book also hardly contains a list of the actual cap makers, which, in reality, is many, many, many times longer, in fact. All the same, he did more real research than many people, and for a Schiffer book, it is above average. The book says more about patents than it does about the material on the cap industry and trade that is richly analyzed in the Uniformen Markt by contemporaries. One get the sense that the author's command of German was mixed and he relied on others to translate certain things, while ignoring the pay dirt in this source.

The books from the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt, published by the Austrians, set the highest standard. I have cited them many, many times. Their scholarship is perfect; the illustrations brilliant and complete; the analysis insightful and correct.

What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?What would forum members like to discuss or see changed?If these two works were translated into English, you'd all be much farther along. And don't ask me to do it more than I have, because my real job is weighing down on me in an odious way. The brown book is written by an artisan for other artisans, and is very hard to understand; the uniform and soldiers book is more accessible, and explains the transition from trade to industry as well as the steps in making uniforms in poetic Nazi language of the era. A reflection of the tradition of the handicrafts and vocational training which is central to any real understanding of this field. Look at our Muetzenfabrik thread, where we discuss these issues in some depth. The Ehrlich book is for sale in Germany for the small price of just Euros 1500. I surely did not pay this sum.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-16-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast