Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wool White-Tops

Article about: great bunch of fabulous hats...

Adding the Pz wool top for ease of reference:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wool White-Tops   Wool White-Tops  

Wool White-Tops  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wool White-Tops
    P
    Many

?

Have you added that to your collection Chris? I love it.

Cheers, Pat

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    Have you added that to your collection Chris? I love it.

Cheers, Pat
    Pat, no. My cross-town friend was interested in buying it, and brought it over to me for inspection. Like I said in the other thread, I could not find anything wrong with it, but he had an issue with a lack of provenance for the piece, and the fact that white-tops were never authorized for the Heer.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Oh right, I thought you had added it to your collection. From the pictures I like it and if I could I would love to be able to own it. It might have been specially ordered by the soldier to be worn on special occasions, which probably explains it's great condition.

Cheers, Pat.

?

If we assume that this cap is authentic, I'm wondering where it could have been worn? In any gathering of brother officers, it would stand out for certain, and perhaps not in a good way.
    I'll also assume that it was worn with the lightweight white summer tunic. IMHO, it would look jarring with a normal feldgrau uniform. I reckon it's all a matter of opinion and/or taste.
    Maybe the owner was an oberst, who had served in a kurassier regiment of the " old army ?"
    BobS

Likely worn at equestrian meets, together with the colorful Rennreiter tunic. The white uniform was widely worn, as well. The old armies surely had white cap covers, and there was enough mixing of the old uniforms by veterans and others with the post 1933 ones in the Germany prior to 1939, to say nothing of how other entities, to include the police even had white caps.....

I cannot say that I have seen an image of this in wear, but I do not look as much as for SS things.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-03-2013 at 02:52 AM.

This cap caused the normal belching, clucking and sophomoric hair twisting on the lords of the flies site, but if our Mr. Mint has faith in it, then it is likely real and quite extraordinary.

Wool White-TopsWe have included pages and pages of primary sources on the violation of regulations as a custom of military life, which led in many cases, to the violations themselves being included in later regulations.

I can well imagine that such a cap was an Unikat of some willful person, or some flamboyant cap maker.

Without putting too fine a point on it, in my life with German, Austrian and other central European soldiers, I have seen enough acts of little defiance in uniforms and such, especially with highly decorated veterans and other military eccentrics, of whom I have known more than a few and, when conditions were right, promoted myself.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-03-2013 at 03:32 AM.

The title of this article in UM: "what is regulation?"

Dogmatic and unimaginative collectors and accumulators (as found on other sites, generally) might take some of the energy they waste in restating what they read in secondary works of dubious merit, and read the primary sources which are always richer and more revealing.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Likely worn at equestrian meets, together with the colorful Rennreiter tunic.
    Do any examples of these silk riding competition tunics survive in collections?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast