Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Article about: I love the pigeon display mate, really great stuff!

I don’t know how I forgot to post this book in this thread! It is the book that I mentioned in post #40. It details all of the pigeons who displayed “meritorious performance”. It’s very interesting and amazing how many pigeons were used and how few made it back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?
    P
    Many

?

Thanks for the good info!
    I am retiring, & need to return to this site.
    My students loved my "pigeon stories" from WW1 & WW2
    Regarding the Dicken Medal, dogs have recently surpassed pigeons in the awards.
    I don't know if this is posted here, regarding animals in war, but here it is

This memorial is to the countless millions of God’s humble creatures who suffered & perished in the Great War 1914-1918 - knowing nothing of the cause – looking forward to no final victory – filled only with love, faith & loyalty – they endured much and died for us. May we all remember them with gratitude and in the future remember & honour their suffering & death by showing kindness & consideration to all living animals today.
    ~ at the RSPCA Royal Society to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Headquarters London, England

I have a few pics of our dogs in Iraq 2004-2005 - we were infantry, but took dogs on many missions. Would this be "too recent?"

?

I think these pigeon harnesses were made by Maidenform, America's largest brassier company!

I have a few pics of our dogs in Iraq 2004-2005 - we were infantry, but took dogs on many missions. Would this be "too recent?"

The more the merrier. I don’t think they get the recognition they deserve.
    I was not aware that dogs had surpassed pigeons as Dicken medal recipients, very interesting, although I guess it makes sense given that pigeons have been used for a little while! (Although given my broadband speed sometimes I think a pigeon would be faster)

Here’s an interesting little WW2 period piece. A collar for a small dog, probably Terrier sized.

There is a tag with the owner's address which was 8 Holford Square, WC1, London; (Near to to Vladimir Lenin who lived at number 30 with his wife in 1902-03). During the Second World War, all four sides of Holford Square were severely damaged by bombing. The New River Company rebuilt some damaged sites, including Percy Circus. However, in 1946 Holford Square was deemed beyond repair and it was condemned.

The collar also sports a Tailwaggers Club Tag. The Tailwaggers Club was founded in 1928 by Captain Horace Hobbs. Dogs that became members received a special collar medallion engraved with the Club’s logo and the motto ‘I help my pals’.
    In just over a year, the Club flourished and more than 200,000 dogs had enrolled, enabling £20,000 to be donated to help the work of the Royal Veterinary College. The money they raised supported pioneering individuals who led the development of small animal medicine and their legacy can still be felt today.
    From the serial/member number I think it dates to the early 1930’s.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6