Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another V-E Day Newspaper

Article about: It seems I've found a new obsessive microcosm within this hobby! Recently, I've found myself trawling various sites for Second World War-era newspapers. They're very cheap, fascinating to re

Default Another V-E Day Newspaper

It seems I've found a new obsessive microcosm within this hobby!

Recently, I've found myself trawling various sites for Second World War-era newspapers. They're very cheap, fascinating to read and easy to store. Add that to the sheer number of issues and publications, and it's a facet of militaria collecting that could keep one occupied for years.

This is one that was surprisingly difficult to find. The May 9th, 1945 edition of the Daily Mirror, a newspaper still in print in Britain to this day. Many British newspapers of this period that appear on sites like eBay are overwhelmingly facsimile copies. Nice, then, to have an original one. There's no way to be one hundred percent certain, of course. But the aging and fragile feel of the piece give me the impression that it's far older than the typical 1970's reprint. Also note the door number penciled in the bottom right corner of the front page.

It's much thinner than other newspapers I've collected, but has some fantastic images and stories covering the V-E Day celebrations in London the day prior. I've done my best to photograph it so that it can be read, but my tablet isn't fond of cooperating at the best of times.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another V-E Day Newspaper   Another V-E Day Newspaper  

Another V-E Day Newspaper   Another V-E Day Newspaper  

Another V-E Day Newspaper   Another V-E Day Newspaper  

Another V-E Day Newspaper  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another V-E Day Newspaper
    P
    Many