Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Any American Civil War items anyone?

Article about: Here are some of my American Civil War cavalry sabers. Left to right : Ames 1840 Cavalry saber, dated 1846, PDL Officers Cavalry saber, S&K second contract cavalry saber, Thomas Griswold

No problem-I'll see what I can do tomorrow in the light.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any American Civil War items anyone?
    P
    Many

Interesting thread gents, it's certainly a subject I'd never really thought much about being from Oz but it is a fascinating conflict.

Sandgroper-you can find limited amounts of things like the CSA banknotes and Minie balls for sale here-Barry had a few firearms for sale last year but these were very pricey-had a Le Mat revolver in very rough shape but still worth a small fortune-Chip sometimes brings in a gun or two to the WAAAS meetings as well.

Interestingly, the war gave a major boost to the development of Jazz music in the South when large numbers of ex military band brass instruments became available afterwards as cheap surplus...

I didn't know Barry had anything like that! I might have to pop into his shop and see what he has, I'm not in the market to buy anything like that but I'd be interested to have a look. Barry certainly has some great gear, his private museum is just amazing.

?

Wow, I didn't expect that many replies! Very interesting but a bit disheartening. Knowing that Collecting CW items would be like collecting high end TR if not worse.

I guess I could look into Tin-types and swords. :')

If I could, I would collect relic CW colts. It's not possible from here though.

Colt Navy, Dug at the battle of Resaca.
    Any American Civil War items anyone?

1851 Colt still loaded
    Any American Civil War items anyone?Any American Civil War items anyone?

Another still loaded Colt dug at the battle of Atlanta
    Any American Civil War items anyone?Any American Civil War items anyone?

?

First of all, it's not called 'The Civil War' - it's either 'The War Between The States' or 'The War of Northern Aggression.'

I learned that the hard way when visiting Richmond, VA and talking to some historically interested folks

THE ABOVE IS OF COURSE TONGUE IN CHEEK!

......ohhhh, and the so called 'Confederate Flag' is a the Naval Jack. That one might come up

I found it interesting, that USS Columbia flew a Confederate Navy Jack as a battle flag throughout combat in the South Pacific in World War II. This was done in honor of Columbia, the ship's namesake and the capital city of South Carolina, the first state to secede from the Union. Some soldiers carried Confederate flags into battle. After the Battle of Okinawa a Confederate flag was raised over Shuri Castle by a Marine from the self-styled "Rebel Company" (Company A of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines). It was visible for miles and was taken down after three days on the orders of General Simon B. Buckner, Jr. (son of Confederate general Simon Buckner), who stated that it was inappropriate as "Americans from all over are involved in this battle". It was replaced with the flag of the United States

Beautiful Ames, Steve.

Sadly, I dont have any items from that conflict, but I have visited many many battledfields from back then, so here a few pics in lieu of actual relics.

Appomatox Court House (name of the town not the Building)

Little Round Top

What those who crossed towards LRT saw

Various battlefields

The Museum of the Confederacy - a must see!

USS Cairo

Be careful with swords Pat. I almost got burned on a 1862 dated US cavalry sabre, but luckily I passed on it because, of all things, it smelled funny. When I got home I found that a lot of the fakers dip the blades in petrol to give them an aged look. Apart from that it was a very good fake.

I like the look of those Colts. I have always been interested in the ordnance myself.

Heres a pic of the Tom Dickey collection in the Atlanta Historical Center. Great place if you ever get a chance to visit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any American Civil War items anyone?  
    Last edited by Spitace41; 12-07-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: error

Default American Civil War swords.

I have had these 2 swords for a number of years and they are not really my thing, but I thought it would be good to show them in case they are of interest or anything special although I doubt it. Being so far from the US its a little hard to find anyone this side of the pond who really appreciates them. Anyway now they are here someone might just have some info on them.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any American Civil War items anyone?   Any American Civil War items anyone?  

Any American Civil War items anyone?   Any American Civil War items anyone?  

Wow...Somebody remind me to not to promise to take photos of framed stuff behind Glass! Lordy, what a headache! I think I should take an extra heart pill just to be safe! lol At any rate, here is a horrid set of photos of my Abraham Lincoln document that I have in my front room. The portrait, like I said, was colored by the artist James Nance in an edition of 1000 and looks Extremely much better than in this picture, but for now, it's about the best I could take without having a coronary. The coloration of his face, for example, is absolutely life like and not the dark image you see here. The matting on it is dull Union blue and light Confederate grey, which I thought was appropriate and turned out well. As for the document, the reason I picked it up years ago was that it is not your commonly seen Presidential document with the fancy pictorial banner. First of all, it's condition is immaculate and unstained, without all of the heavy wear holes and folds one usually sees on these pieces. It was obviously carefully stored away and kept from the sunlight and handled with care. It features the name "Abraham Lincoln" in Large Prominent letters at the top over the inscription "The President of the United States of America. To All Who Shall See These Presents. Greetings". It goes on to state that Joseph J. Coombs of the District of Columbia has been appointed Examiner in Chief of the United States Patent Office and is dated and emboss sealed May 7,1861. Lincoln has, as can be seen, signed with his full name of Abraham Lincoln and it is also signed by Caleb Blood Smith-the Secretary of the Interior. I tried my damnedest to take a picture of the 2 pieces hanging above the other on the wall, but the flash was much too insistent on being seen, and I eventually had to take them down and try them on a chair.

When I was liquidating a large number of items, I Almost sold this document as well, but somehow, I couldn't bring myself to part with it. It just held me in awe to think that Abraham Lincoln once held this paper with his huge gnarly old hands and sat down and read it over and personally signed it with a dip pen, no doubt while squinting at it with his little wire rim glasses while seated behind his desk in the White House. Lincoln was always my favorite person of American History and here was a document that he personally once Handled and Signed too. And, so it hangs today in my front room-where my extremely patient wife allowed it to be hung. Every now and then she still will make a comment about Lincoln slyly grinning at her while she sits knitting on the sofa, but she never protests Too loudly in any case, so I guess she's at peace with Old Abe as well.

Any American Civil War items anyone?Any American Civil War items anyone?Any American Civil War items anyone?
    Last edited by Wagriff; 12-08-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I'm glad you kept it as well! A neat piece of history.

Great series of pics from the museum I have to get there one day.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast