Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Any American Civil War items anyone?

Article about: Here are some of my American Civil War cavalry sabers. Left to right : Ames 1840 Cavalry saber, dated 1846, PDL Officers Cavalry saber, S&K second contract cavalry saber, Thomas Griswold

There is an 1800s armory in the City I work in that an older gentleman now owns and has one of the biggest militaria collections in the world (IMO). It is packed full of his collection mainly focusing on the Civil war and earlier he has a full room of guns that are 1890s and earlier. It is only part of his collection as he has storage buildings that he keeps the rest in...

He told me after I inquired about WWII items that he sells any of that he finds since it is much easier to come by then anything real that predates the 1900s.

I will see if I can take some pictures sometime.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any American Civil War items anyone?
    P
    Many

Nice relic pistols Pat. I used to own an 1858 Remington .44 Army,
    a Manhattan .32 - which was a Colt knock off - and an 1860 Colt
    Army, as well as a Springfield rifle. Sold them off ages ago
    and now regret it as prices have tripled since.........

Pics of Gettysburg when I visited in 1997 or '98:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any American Civil War items anyone?   Any American Civil War items anyone?  

Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    There is an 1800s armory in the City I work in that an older gentleman now owns and has one of the biggest militaria collections in the world (IMO). It is packed full of his collection mainly focusing on the Civil war and earlier he has a full room of guns that are 1890s and earlier. It is only part of his collection as he has storage buildings that he keeps the rest in...

He told me after I inquired about WWII items that he sells any of that he finds since it is much easier to come by then anything real that predates the 1900s.

I will see if I can take some pictures sometime.
    Interesting.
    Is it open to the public or is it his private collection?

?

Thank You Wagriff,
    You did a great job on those pic's and that item is a true American collectible. Great move not getting rid of something that is so few and far between. That was something seeing Ole Abe's autograph.
    Thanks Again
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Scout View Post
    Interesting.
    Is it open to the public or is it his private collection?
    It is set up like a private meuseum for the most part but a few rooms in the front are set up like a store open to the public. The owner is getting pretty old and does not seem to let too many people in the meuseum part often, but he seems to be open to polite people that seem genuinly interested.

?

Thanks. Can you PM me details, if he would rather not have too many visitors, please?

he guys you can still get a bargain,today I pick up a set ofheer dagger hanger straps cost£15.my lucky day.

?

I don't have much at all in CW. I have an 1859 dated Ames cavalry sword , and a cavalry sword belt buckle. I'm only looking for maybe 2 or 3 more things. the crossed swords cap insignia and large coat button for the cavalry to go in the frame with the buckle. the revolver is only good for display any more, it was a working reproduction, that a friend owned, but he forgot to keep it clean, and its really froze up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any American Civil War items anyone?   Any American Civil War items anyone?  

Any American Civil War items anyone?  

?

Didnt your buddy use Pyrodex in the revolver?

You should be able to get it working with a little elbow grease.

You could boil it - thats what I would do after a range session with black powder.
    Disassemble it. Take off the wooden grip halves beforehand.

Try BreakFree or slip the revolver in a bucket of diesel and let it sit there for a while. As above, remove wooden grip halves.

I've always like the sword belt buckles-they are absolutely iconic pieces of the CW. Yours with the silvered leaved is from an officer, if I recall correctly. A shame you don't have the keeper to go with it! They were/are so enormously reproduced that it's a pleasure to see a good Genuine piece! I like the numbers on the back. I remember the days when outfits like Flayderman's would sell unissued ones like this and you would see people actually walking around Wearing them! Not so much today! Nice buckle!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast