Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Any American Civil War items anyone?

Article about: Here are some of my American Civil War cavalry sabers. Left to right : Ames 1840 Cavalry saber, dated 1846, PDL Officers Cavalry saber, S&K second contract cavalry saber, Thomas Griswold

?

yes wagriff a keeper would be very nice. I would not mind having a US oval buckle too. I'm open to trading german stuff for the few items I'm looking for.
    lol scout. I don't know what he used. but before I got it, he took it to a sorta gun smith lol and they tried everything to get the cylinder pin out. including trying to drill it out. to no avail. so he gave it to me. and I tried soaking it in all kinds of things. its a great wall hanger. i'll go buy a working one if I really want to have one. my .50 hawken is messy enough.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any American Civil War items anyone?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Didnt your buddy use Pyrodex in the revolver?

You should be able to get it working with a little elbow grease.

You could boil it - thats what I would do after a range session with black powder.
    Disassemble it. Take off the wooden grip halves beforehand.

Try BreakFree or slip the revolver in a bucket of diesel and let it sit there for a while. As above, remove wooden grip halves.
    Pyrodex is a great alternative, but it is still corrosive. I have a repro Colt Walker that I love to Pack to the brim and shoot.
    That badboy is a dragon with half of the 60 grain charge igniting when the ball leave the barrel. But I hate cleaning it. I was always taught water and firearms do not make a great pair, But I have done the same method and used boiling water to clean her. Dry them off and LUBE!!!
    The pistol pictured is a Brass frame and those action do not stand up to long time use before they start to expand. I think Scout is right though. A good tear down and cleaning should get that Powder puffer back to the range for a couple more sessions.

Andrew, I love that buckle. Great piece!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

I agree with Phil-Black Powder is horrendously dirty and will, as you've found out, basically clog your piece permanently if not cleaned Soon after firing. I always preferred Pyrodex -it's safer and cleaner by far.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I've had this pesky bugger for some years and I've never found out if this one is from the period? anyone identify it?

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    he guys you can still get a bargain,today I pick up a set ofheer dagger hanger straps cost£15.my lucky day.
    That is a good feeling isn't it ?

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Wow...Somebody remind me to not to promise to take photos of framed stuff behind Glass! Lordy, what a headache! I think I should take an extra heart pill just to be safe! lol At any rate, here is a horrid set of photos of my Abraham Lincoln document that I have in my front room. The portrait, like I said, was colored by the artist James Nance in an edition of 1000 and looks Extremely much better than in this picture, but for now, it's about the best I could take without having a coronary. The coloration of his face, for example, is absolutely life like and not the dark image you see here. The matting on it is dull Union blue and light Confederate grey, which I thought was appropriate and turned out well. As for the document, the reason I picked it up years ago was that it is not your commonly seen Presidential document with the fancy pictorial banner. First of all, it's condition is immaculate and unstained, without all of the heavy wear holes and folds one usually sees on these pieces. It was obviously carefully stored away and kept from the sunlight and handled with care. It features the name "Abraham Lincoln" in Large Prominent letters at the top over the inscription "The President of the United States of America. To All Who Shall See These Presents. Greetings". It goes on to state that Joseph J. Coombs of the District of Columbia has been appointed Examiner in Chief of the United States Patent Office and is dated and emboss sealed May 7,1861. Lincoln has, as can be seen, signed with his full name of Abraham Lincoln and it is also signed by Caleb Blood Smith-the Secretary of the Interior. I tried my damnedest to take a picture of the 2 pieces hanging above the other on the wall, but the flash was much too insistent on being seen, and I eventually had to take them down and try them on a chair.

When I was liquidating a large number of items, I Almost sold this document as well, but somehow, I couldn't bring myself to part with it. It just held me in awe to think that Abraham Lincoln once held this paper with his huge gnarly old hands and sat down and read it over and personally signed it with a dip pen, no doubt while squinting at it with his little wire rim glasses while seated behind his desk in the White House. Lincoln was always my favorite person of American History and here was a document that he personally once Handled and Signed too. And, so it hangs today in my front room-where my extremely patient wife allowed it to be hung. Every now and then she still will make a comment about Lincoln slyly grinning at her while she sits knitting on the sofa, but she never protests Too loudly in any case, so I guess she's at peace with Old Abe as well.

Attachment 607284Attachment 607285Attachment 607289
    That is better than an orgasm with a good looking chick.

I found a link that shows some good photos of the Armory, West PA Magazine | Wild West Museum & Franklin Antique Mall , not sure about the authenticity of the Jolly Roger flag but if it is good it is one of my favorite pieces there.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I've had this pesky bugger for some years and I've never found out if this one is from the period? anyone identify it?
    again this one goes into the un identified, in the junk pile!!!

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Pyrodex is a great alternative, but it is still corrosive. I have a repro Colt Walker that I love to Pack to the brim and shoot.
    That badboy is a dragon with half of the 60 grain charge igniting when the ball leave the barrel. But I hate cleaning it. I was always taught water and firearms do not make a great pair, But I have done the same method and used boiling water to clean her. Dry them off and LUBE!!!
    The pistol pictured is a Brass frame and those action do not stand up to long time use before they start to expand. I think Scout is right though. A good tear down and cleaning should get that Powder puffer back to the range for a couple more sessions.

Andrew, I love that buckle. Great piece!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Good point about the frame being brass - I didnt take that into consideration.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    again this one goes into the un identified, in the junk pile!!!
    Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks to be either a Civil War era Enfield Musket bayonet used by the Union or else from a Springfield Musket -again, Civil War and used by the Union. It's difficult to say exactly, as they changed so Little over the years.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast