Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Best way to store Militaria?

Article about: Hi all Just need some help, I need to store my collection, mix of webbing, helmets, belts, boots all the usual militaria etc ww1 and ww2 items possibly long term in our attic, I was wonderin

Default Best way to store Militaria?

Hi all
    Just need some help, I need to store my collection, mix of webbing, helmets, belts, boots all the usual militaria etc ww1 and ww2 items possibly long term in our attic, I was wondering if any of the forum members could advise me on the best way to store them? I was thinking about purchasing the large type cardboard boxes you use to move house with to store my items. My wife on the other hand says why don't you use plastic storage boxes? I am sure I have read somewhere that plastic can make some items react and ruin them, but I am not sure whether I have made this up or not lol.

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Jamie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to store Militaria?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Best way to store Militaria?

I would get those Rubber containers with the snap lids just so bugs and unwanted stuff does not get to your items. May cost you a little more $$ but will save you in the long run.
    Ryan

I'm guessing, like you said, some material WILL react to regular plastic unless it's some archival acid-free kind. Also, locking stuff up in airtight containers would surely be asking for trouble with regards to humidity build-up and eventually mould... I'd say that different materials would necessitate different approaches with regards to long term storage. Not an expert but I'd advice you to use different types of storage containers/bags or whatever corresponding to the different types of material.

Others will probably chime in with specifics, good luck!

I've mainly used these kinds of shops for mylar/acrylic sleeves storing posters and handbills etc. but here's a link to a shop (one of many out there) that offers archival/acid-free storage boxes and various other related supplies http://www.universityproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1460&parentId=1266&navTr ee[]=1266&navTree[]=1460

It all comes down to how valuable your items are and what materials they are made out of but that link should give you an idea anyway... imo it's better to be safe than sorry -- especially when you're talking about long term storage.

Need some where to store your items? Hmmmmmm........well I guess I could let you store them at my place for a while. Lol just kidding

Many thanks for your comments

The problem is the multitude of items, and that some of the items are made of different materials that require different storage conditions.
    Webbing is often prone to mould growth, and wool is prone to moth attacks, natural rubber just deteriorates with time (can be regulated with heat / light / humidity control).

But you could try to take a look around here:

CCI Notes. Care, handling, and storage of cultural objects.

Once I had a disaster with a plastic lock lid I didn't check it for cracks and moisture got down in it and rotted my leather Y straps, Ammo pouches etc. I suspose they would be ok if no cracks and air tight I would still check them from time to time. timothy