Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

British DPM Camouflage

Article about: G'day All, Figured to start this one, in my opinion it is one of the best ever camo patterns devised! S95, 85 & 68 patt (worse for wear correct me if I'm wrong) displayed

British DPM Camouflage

A New Zealand Army DPM shirt to add to the party.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British DPM Camouflage
    P
    Many

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    As promised here is the "Shovel Infantry Lightweight". At 29" length it is considerably shorter than the "Shovel GS" seen attached to vehicles etc along with "Pickaxe GS" EG on the tailgate of a Landrover.

The blade of the Shovel GS is slightly larger too. The matching Pickaxe is larger in all dimensions.

The Shovel Infantry Lightweight pictured here was used by me to joyfully dig holes in the floor in all weathers;

Attachment 1154181Attachment 1154180Attachment 1154182Attachment 1154183Attachment 1154184Attachment 1154185

It is dated 1979 and is made by Spear & Jackson.

The reddish colour is an undercoat of Red Oxide not rust and the topcoat is standard NATO green. It is typical for these to have been repainted regularly after use without any attempt to strip back previous layers.

When worn on the webbing yoke these things could be literally "a pain in the back" if you fell the wrong way as was also the case with the pick helve.

Regards

Mark
    Fantastic Mark Thank You

British DPM CamouflageBritish DPM Camouflage

New Zealand Army DPM trousers, with internal label. Uniform parts were NZ made.

Great to see Anderson Thanks, the material looks similar to the British tropical?

Yes, it's about that weight cloth but the colours are different to British. Quite noticeable if you lay a pair of British DPM trou next to NZ DPM.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, it's about that weight cloth but the colours are different to British. Quite noticeable if you lay a pair of British DPM trou next to NZ DPM.
    how different are the pattern print/colour variation details, If I may ask?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    how different are the pattern print/colour variation details, If I may ask?
    Just to add to the colour difference thing; on a few occasions over the years I have seen isolated examples of British DPM that were wildly different in shade to everything else. I personally had at least two smocks and sometimes a colleague might turn up in some kind of psychedelic "disco pants"!

You would protest to the QM bods that this made you stick out "like a sore thumb" but it made no odds to them that you looked like "GI Joe on speed" you just had to wash it until it faded to a less ridiculous shade.

I am sure everyone appreciates the level of interest provoked in the RSM (aka Regimental Scary Monster) by some unfortunate "Tom" resplendent in such vibrant colours

There were differences apparently between what appeared to be large quantities where the shades seemed either more robust or more subdued (perhaps between contracts?) but nothing like the "one off" freakish clown suit pieces I am talking about here.

Nobody ever had an explanation and it it was only the one or two pieces now and again so it didn't seem to be batch related at anything like local level. Maybe it was single pieces that evaded the QC process? I don't know but it did happen. I mention this in the context of assessing the colours from particular sources.

I don't know if this proves anything or not but I figured it worth mentioning when we speak of colour difference within the same pattern.

Regards

Mark

PS I think I might still have a tropical DPM shirt with shades of green reminiscent of antifreeze or African tree frog! If I can find it I will surely post it.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here's a little bit of info I found on the DPM shade difference of New Zealand DPM. The early 1984/85 pattern was described as the same as Dutch DPM.

"After a series of cheaply made shirt and trouser iterations, a new pattern was issued in 1997; it resembled in DPM colour and cut the British jungle DPM shirt and trousers used until the late 1990s which were lighter in colour than the British "Combat Soldier 95" pattern. Of high-quality manufacture, the shirt and trousers feature double knees, elbows and seat. Rank slides are worn on the shoulders. A lightweight 100% cotton DPM windproof smock is issued, which has a rank slide on the front, covered buttons and an integral hood.
    2008 Pattern
    In late 2008, New Zealand Army commenced issue of a new combat uniform. It was still New Zealand DPM camouflage, but made in rip-stop material and in a new cut which was somewhat similar to the latest style of Australian DPCU, US ACU and British PCS MTP uniforms, in that the patch pockets on the shirt are replaced by internal, vertical closure pockets and the shirt is cut for wear outside the trousers, and a camouflaged rank slide is worn on the front tab."

To my eye the colour tone difference is the brown in NZ DPM is more reddish, than British, and the green lighter.

Great additions to the thread Rene' and if anything your displays are never boring ,quite the contrary and thanks too Mark for the detailed pictures of the "Shovel infantry lightweight" a must add to my 58 Pattern webbing some day soon and with your guide will make sure i don't pick up the shovel GS in error

Quote by James C View Post
    thanks too Mark for the detailed pictures of the "Shovel infantry lightweight" a must add to my 58 Pattern webbing some day soon and with your guide will make sure i don't pick up the shovel GS in error
    You are welcome, I suppose to anyone who has used one it is obvious, a bit like all the stuff we covert now such as the "free oscillating dickspring" in that never seen before much much heard about "Tibetan Yak Strangler"

Don't worry mate you will not confuse it with Shovels GS. Size matters,,,,,,,,,,apparently

GS fits a LandRover, Lightweight fits a mans back. They are not interchangeable

The lightweight pick is really titchy too but it is also a feasible weapon especially the helve! Still looking for that bugger. I said I didn't have one squirelled away but believe it or not the wife seems to think she recalls one in my shed

First I need to work out what she was doing in that mouse infested den

Then I need to see if she is right

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-24-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast