Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

British DPM Camouflage

Article about: G'day All, Figured to start this one, in my opinion it is one of the best ever camo patterns devised! S95, 85 & 68 patt (worse for wear correct me if I'm wrong) displayed

Early '68 jacket to add size 5 and it fits me well

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British DPM Camouflage
    P
    Many

Hey Brickie Huge Thanks Mate for your contributions love them Mate

Had to take this shot, love this jacket!!!

Funny I was going to search for a shirt! and I discovered I had this one in the junk pile!!! I guess the officer type would be similar to the EM?

I agree, great contribution from Brickie. Text book standard.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Funny I was going to search for a shirt! and I discovered I had this one in the junk pile!!! I guess the officer type would be similar to the EM?
    Well, yes and no. The example you have is an officers issue pattern No2 dress item which is rare in itself as officers receive a uniform allowance and have to actually buy everything except a basic scale of combat clothing plus a few other items such as trousers lightweight (they were taken off most scales back in the '90s I believe. So, most officers kit tends to be private purchase becuase they usually buy from tailors etc spending a little more for quality higher than that of the ordnance supplied items (in some case I have heard that the private tailor purchased items were actually cheaper).

It has been known (no surprises) for officers to wear a shirt like this in combat dress (properly termed No8 Combat Dress) but it is incorrect and if an OR / EM tried it he would be likely to incur the wrath of the Regimental Sergeant Major, RSM, Rasman, Regimental Scary Monster etc!

The correct shirt for for No8 Dress (1968 patt DPM) was the shirt KF (Khaki Flannel) and my earliest ones were the 1952 patt with pleated breast pockets and I think the 1960 patt with un-pleated pockets. These were itchy wool buggers and didn't really become bearable until they were almost worn out. Later along with the later patterns of DPM, the khaki became a kind of sage green in the Shirts Combat with epaulettes and un-pleated pockets. Same itchy wool but a more economical cut. Then, sometime in the '80s came the olive green Shirts GS which were a much more comfortable polycotton of medium weight with epaulettes and un-pleated pockets.

Back to the No2 Dress shirts, the officers pattern is heavier, more yellow and better quality than that of the OR pattern. Sometimes a Marcella shirt of the correct shade would be worn by some regiments in No2 Dress and No13 Barrack Dress. The OR pattern was a more beige colour, a lighter weight polycotton and the earliest ones I had in the '70s had epaulettes and breast pockets without pleats. Later patterns lost the epaulettes then the pockets. Intestingly enough most of the miltary shirts were actually made by firms like Raelbrook, Ladybird and Ben Sherman.

Well, the short answer would be that for the '68 patt ORs No8 Combat Dress we see here the shirt should be the itchy scratchy Shirt KF of 52 or 60 pattern but overlap of types and patterns etc would render the Shirt Combat or Shirt GS correct as I wore both with '68 patt DPM as late as 1985.

Confused? I am
    But I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-13-2020 at 12:45 AM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thought this might be of interest- 68 pattern DPM uniform but worn with the trials 72 pattern webbing set.British DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM Camouflage

I joined in '75 and there were some items of this terrible contrivance still around mostly used for applications totally divorced from the original purpose but I think most of it ended up quite properly in the bin!

I haven't seen much since and I don't think I have ever seen a full set!

A good thing for equipment collectors now though in a way

Thanks for showing.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, yes and no. The example you have is an officers issue pattern No2 dress item which is rare in itself as officers receive a uniform allowance and have to actually buy everything except a basic scale of combat clothing plus a few other items such as trousers lightweight (they were taken off most scales back in the '90s I believe. So, most officers kit tends to be private purchase becuase they usually buy from tailors etc spending a little more for quality higher than that of the ordnance supplied items (in some case I have heard that the private tailor purchased items were actually cheaper).

It has been known (no surprises) for officers to wear a shirt like this in combat dress (properly termed No8 Combat Dress) but it is incorrect and if an OR / EM tried it he would be likely to incur the wrath of the Regimental Sergeant Major, RSM, Rasman, Regimental Scary Monster etc!

The correct shirt for for No8 Dress (1968 patt DPM) was the shirt KF (Khaki Flannel) and my earliest ones were the 1952 patt with pleated breast pockets and I think the 1960 patt with un-pleated pockets. These were itchy wool buggers and didn't really become bearable until they were almost worn out. Later along with the later patterns of DPM, the khaki became a kind of sage green in the Shirts Combat with epaulettes and un-pleated pockets. Same itchy wool but a more economical cut. Then, sometime in the '80s came the olive green Shirts GP which were a much more comfortable polycotton of medium weight with epaulettes and un-pleated pockets.

Back to the No2 Dress shirts, the officers pattern is heavier, more yellow and better quality than that of the OR pattern. Sometimes a Marcella shirt of the correct shade would be worn by some regiments in No2 Dress and No13 Barrack Dress. The OR pattern was a more beige colour, a lighter weight polycotton and the earliest ones I had in the '70s had epaulettes and breast pockets without pleats. Later patterns lost the epaulettes then the pockets. Intestingly enough most of the miltary shirts were actually made by firms like Raelbrook, Ladybird and Ben Sherman.

Well, the short answer would be that for the '68 patt ORs No8 Combat Dress we see here the shirt should be the itchy scratchy Shirt KF of 52 or 60 pattern but overlap of types and patterns etc would render the Shirt Combat or Shirt GP correct as I wore both with '68 patt DPM as late as 1985.

Confused? I am
    But I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Yet again Mark Cheers, you are fantastic Mate!

Quote by Warspite View Post
    Thought this might be of interest- 68 pattern DPM uniform but worn with the trials 72 pattern webbing set.
    Really looks fantastic thanks for taking the time and effort for this display!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 04-25-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast