Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Coffee Mugs with a military theme

Article about: Anybody else have a thing for drinking mugs ?? I didn't plan to collect these things, it just sort of happened.... Bob

Default Coffee Mugs with a military theme

Anybody else have a thing for drinking mugs ?? I didn't plan to collect these things, it just sort of happened....

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coffee Mugs with a military theme   Coffee Mugs with a military theme  

Coffee Mugs with a military theme   Coffee Mugs with a military theme  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Coffee Mugs with a military theme
    P
    Many

?

Nice collection Bob. I do not collect them as such, however I did receive this one earlier this year from town officials at Holýšov, not far from Plzen (Pilsen), Czech Republic. It was a nice gesture on their part for my recent work addressing the former KZ-Aussenlager that was located on the outskirts of the town during the Nazi occupation. The work is featured in the current issue of After The Battle magazine, see links below for further details. The mug has a brief outline of the history of the town, including a mention of the munitions facility - MWH (MetallwerkeHolleischen), where former concentration camp prisoners worked.

Regards,

Carl

AFTER THE BATTLE No.162 - MY ARTICLE ON HOLLEISCHEN

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...ischen-199265/
    Attached Images Attached Images Coffee Mugs with a military theme 

?

Quote by Bob Lyons View Post
    Anybody else have a thing for drinking mugs ?? I didn't plan to collect these things, it just sort of happened
    Hi Bob - some great mugs there.

Yes, I have an interest in them.

Contrary to you, I did have a plan to collect a mug from every Airforce/MIL museum, that I visited.
    That plan went to hell in a handbag years ago, as I visit A LOT of museums.

The mugs also seem to clutter up my Pelican case when I travel.

Further more, I then thought Id use the remaining mugs for drinking instead of displaying.
    That didnt work too well either as I learned a painful and unexpected lesson; some women has this notion, that drinking cups should be dainty and all look alike.

Evidently cups/mugs are supposed to 'compliment each other.'

For a fleeting moment I contemplated suggesting that we thrash the small dainty white mugs, that all looked like each other and exchange them for my airforce museum/MIL mugs.
    I mean, they all share a common theme, pretty much are the same size and complimente each other just fine IMO.

But I can read a facial expression as good as the next guy and in general dislike having airforce museum mugs thrown at me, so 'we' compromised.....

'We' agreed, that I could keep a few favourites around.

Luftwaffenmuseum Berlin, Udvar-Hazy/Smithsonian, Hendon, National Museum of the Air Force.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coffee Mugs with a military theme  

Carl that's a wonderful thing to be given by the town,I always loved getting something from the bosses of the places I have been.

?

Indeed, it certainly was a nice gesture Harry. The invitation alone - to attend the commemorative events along with people who were actually there really made it for me. Meeting Louis, the Belgian veteran who arrived at the camp shortly after the liberation, was an experience I will always cherish. It was an honour.

I broke mine...;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coffee Mugs with a military theme  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Carl, great stuff re your cup with history. I am also a huge fan of the 'ATB' magazine, I will have to wait until about the end of January before issue 162 makes it to Australia, but I am
    looking forward to reading your article.

Scout, I love your cups, and had a laugh at what the 'boss' decrees you should drink out of, I have one that is very similar, and also have several other mugs lying about, I basically
    did the photos of my cups from when I was working at the navy dockyard in Williamstown (Melbourne). I will dig out a few more and add. I love your Luftwaffe museum Berlin cup too !!
    (and hope to visit there one day).

stuka f, I can see why you broke yours, your fangs are too long....

Bob