Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cold War Mk.2 Porton NBC Resuscitator

Article about: This is another recent purchase of mine, and certainly one of the more unusual. This rather interesting piece of cold war era NBC equipment is a device that can provide resuscitation to a no

Default Cold War Mk.2 Porton NBC Resuscitator

This is another recent purchase of mine, and certainly one of the more unusual. This rather interesting piece of cold war era NBC equipment is a device that can provide resuscitation to a non breathing casualty in an environment where NBC weapons have been used. Otherwise, those who come to the aid of the casualty would have to remove their respirators in order to provide CPR. Air is drawn in through an inlet valve using the bellows, it is then pushed through a modified respirator filter (very similar to that on the Service Respirator No.6) then into a oral-nasal mask which is placed on the face of the casualty, providing them with clean air.

On the subject of this sort of thing, a resuscitation tube, similar to that of the US M17A1 was experimented with for the SR6 however it was deemed that it was far too difficult to connect it to the mask, especially in a less than perfect situation. Hence why this device, although slightly primitive in appearance continued to trained with apparently up until the late 1980's.

I hope that this is of interest to some, and hopefully useful too.

The box, marked with its contents.

Inside the box, instructions are attached to the lid.

The Resuscitator itself

Markings on the resuscitator, this example is dated 1962

Interestingly, this small badge was stuck in the bottom of the box when I received it, does anyone know what regiment/corps/organisation it belongs to?

Thanks

Danny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cold War Mk.2 Porton NBC Resuscitator
    P
    Many

Hi Danny, the badge is Royal Signals.

Unusual item, never seen one before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Unusual find Danny and complete with original storage box,nice and rarely seen set................Jake.

Thanks Ade, I thought that it may have been the case, however I never really looked into it as it is quite different from the modern one which I see from time to time.

Cheers for the comments!

Danny

Hi Danny , a very unusual NBC item , is it just my memory but is that "signals" badge different from the standard one as the character appears to be holding the symbol of a medic in it's hand?? Leon.

It is a sleeve badge, that much I can tell you. But being post war, it is not really my thing. It is Mercury. He is nick named as "Jimmy". Worn by Senior NCO's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It is a sleeve badge, that much I can tell you. But being post war, it is not really my thing. It is Mercury. He is nick named as "Jimmy". Worn by Senior NCO's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Sorry Ade , it was my bad memory , I just looked at my grandads WW2 signals cap badge and it to holds the same emblem!! Leon.

very nice Danny mate,definately one of the Lesser Spotted bits of NBC Equipment, The Royal Signals patch was a nice bonus too