Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Display you collection....

Article about: this has been a looming question on my nind ever since i decided to start collecting 3rd reich artifacts. i know some people display their militaria openly, which arrises to my question, wha

Default Re: Display you collection....

I very proudly display my collection and I have to show it off to anyone who comes to my house. I don't really think of the swastika as being offensive. It just never really crosses my mind. The way I see it, a swastika is nothing more that some kind of everyday material that has been dyed a certain color. The red, black, and white dye on a piece of fabric is never in a million years going to harm a Jewish person and if I have a Nazi flag, it is always going to exist in my collection whether anyone sees it or not. If they don't like it, they don't have to look!

It seems really selfish to take offense to seeing something like that when the holocaust was something that was so much more real. My point is:

People kill people, swastikas don't! My helmets/flags/medals are not going anywhere so get over it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Display you collection....
    P
    Many

If people want to see my collection, i tell them: "Before you ask, no, i am not a Nazi".
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

I have had swastika flags displayed with my collection at various points during my life. Some people who didn't know me well took offense. They really scratched their heads and looked at me as if I was completely insane when I told them I am Jewish. I agree with those who posted here that if people don't like it, they can walk out the door.

P.S. My Rabbi when I was growing up in the 60's to 70's tried to discourage my interest in the hobby, but eventually stopped asking me about my collecting TR items as he thought it would be a passing phase. He was wrong. I am more interested and passionate about studying and collecting these things than ever.

?

i would too nervous to display it openly not for my reason for others as a rumor can catch like wild fire and a reputation can be ruined

i think most peoples collections go beyond just having t r items for me this forum has been great ,for me to share my collection with likeminded people who can accept this hobby and appreciate any artifacts on display i dont consider myself a nazi just cause i own a few tr items nor a fascist for collecting italian items

Some people just dont understand, and before asking asking if you are a collector or something, they judge you right away.
    My parents have put the house their house for sale, and for that reason i have had several people coming over to see it, at one time one couple that was very interested in the house and after seeing my room they simply left without saying anything.
    Some time after the realestate told us, the people were shocked and lost interest after seeing my nazi items.

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I keep all my stuff hidden away for two reasons. I would feel uncomfortable about what my friends and visitors would think and also because there is no way on earth my wife would let me have any area of our house for displaying any kind of militaria !

Nick
    My wife Sarah insisted i have my display unit with my ammo collection on display in living room. When i said "Why"? and "are you sure you wouldnt mind"? She replied "Well, its no good if you cant sit and look at them when you want". Shes a diamond but i have had certain pieces that might not be suitable for open display for various reasons and these are in a cupboard. Regards, Tim.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Some people just dont understand, and before asking asking if you are a collector or something, they judge you right away.
    My parents have put the house their house for sale, and for that reason i have had several people coming over to see it, at one time one couple that was very interested in the house and after seeing my room they simply left without saying anything.
    Some time after the realestate told us, the people were shocked and lost interest after seeing my nazi items.
    That takes the pee dont it. Dont suppose it passed those mutton heads minds that whatever you had in your own home will not be there when it changes hands-daft i agree mate. Some people just lack understanding of what a historian/collector actually does and thats sad. Keep up your collecting! Regards, Tim.

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I keep all my stuff hidden away for two reasons. I would feel uncomfortable about what my friends and visitors would think and also because there is no way on earth my wife would let me have any area of our house for displaying any kind of militaria !

Nick
    Nick,
    Don't forget the third reason......... your wife doesn't know exactly how much you've got!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

My wife is very understanding and has really embraced my side of the family. She has even been known to defend what I have on display and is very open minded. People down here are not really exposed to he "other side" of the war, especialy with ANZAC day being so popular and people honouring the sacrifice of all Australian Defence personel. Her side of the family has become quite enlightened since seeing my collection and the common comment is that we have been bought up to believe the Germans as evil and the enemy, but they have learnt something by seeing what i have, they find it confronting but are willing to listen to my side of the story, especially since I have the portraits of my uncles and it brings it to a human level. He famuily has all the pics of her relatives in the Second AIF and there are lots of friends who have WW1 pics of their relatives, so seening the German side actually makes the think about the reality of it all and that there are two sides to the story. I even wear my Great uncles Iron cross and ost medal on my right hand side on ANZAC and rememberance day, the way I see it, everyone else gets to wear their relatives "Allied" meldas, so why can't I wear my relatives. I have never had a problem with WW2 veterans seeing them, a lot of them comment on how profesional and well trained the Germans were. I have my own medals from more recent conflicts. I even met a woman whos Husband was awarded the DFC for bombing Hamburg. My fathers mum was a teenager during that raid, and those two had a really good chat, she even said that she was interested as she had never heard the other sides view. I introduced them by saying that this womans husbands got a medal for bombing your mum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2