Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Displaying LW helmet

Article about: Hi Guys , I recently purchased my first German helmet, a LW, SD, M40. I would like to display it on a styrofoam head but I'm concerned about any damage done to the leather liner over time du

Default Displaying LW helmet

Hi Guys , I recently purchased my first German helmet, a LW, SD, M40. I would like to display it on a styrofoam head but I'm concerned about any damage done to the leather liner over time due to the weight of the helmet, all opinions welcome. Thank you in advance and let's be careful out there.

Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Displaying LW helmet
    P
    Many

You should avoid displaying a helmet in any way that puts stress on the liner. A head of any kind is going to deform and destroy the liner over time, even if the material it's made from isn't harmful to the leather. If you're displaying it on a stand, the best method is to find something similar to a paper towel holder, which rests directly against the inside of the shell without putting any pressure on the liner. Personally, I just stand my helmets on shelves. The skirted German design is well suited to that, at least in my humble opinion.

Also, on a related note, avoid folding the chinstrap over the brim of the helmet. It looks cool, but it damages the strap over time, and eventually it'll wear through and snap.

Regards, B.B.

Thank you B.B., I like your avatar Dr. Strangelove, exellent movie!

Bill

Bill, another idea that I saw recently was to purchase a few cheap acrylic cap holders off eBay. These are used to help caps (I.e. base ball style) retain their shape. I think I’ll give this method a shot too. Here’s an example below:

Displaying LW helmetDisplaying LW helmet

MAP
    ?

If you want to display it "off the ground", a wood or metal paper towel holder works great. They don't rest against the liner, instead, resting on the inside top of the shell. Put a piece of felt in the top so it doesn't scratch the inside of the shell.
    Last edited by MAP; 05-31-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you guys

Bill

Alternatively, you can use larger shell cases as helmet stands. Stick a piece of cloth of a ball of tissue paper over the top, and they work a treat. They also blend into a display, unlike modern stands.

Regards, B.B.

I use wooden stands on my helmets, keeps them off the shelf and they display well.

Also, as Brodiebartfest mentioned ... putting the chin strap over the front of the helmet not only damages the strap,
    but could impact the helmet itself, and leave a stain on the front of the helmet when left for a period of time.

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Displaying LW helmet