MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch WW2 Marine veteran lot

Article about: Good morning all, I would like to present a nice collection I acquired a little while ago. This lot is from a Dutch marine from WW2 and I got it direct from the veterans doughter, who is a f

?

Default Dutch WW2 Marine veteran lot

Good morning all,

I would like to present a nice collection I acquired a little while ago. This lot is from a Dutch marine from WW2 and I got it direct from the veterans doughter, who is a family friend. She was emigrating from the Netherlands and wanted to pass her dads items on to me, because she trusted me to not sell it and take good care of it. It is really great to have such a personal and historical lot, especially because of the historical value it has.

The Marine, C. Moote was part of the Dutch Marines who fought the Germans during the invasion of Holland. He, with his unit, was involved in the fighting for the Maasbruggen in Rotterdam. From what I have read so far, they were heavily outnumbered but managed to fight on till the surrender. After the fighting he was taking into captivity and released again after a little while. Somewhere in 1942 he had to report himself again and was taking into German captivity once again.
    I didn't have the time to do a lot of research but I know he first went to the Neuengamme camp and from there on was sent to the Stanislau camp. In one of these camps he helped to dig a tunnel through wich several Dutch prisoners managed to escape.

He survived his time in the camps and after the war returned home. For him this was not it, as he was also sent to the Dutch East Indies to serve a tour over there too.

So far this is all I know and I am planning in doing some research to find out more about marine C. Moote. I did find out there are documents about him and the camps in the National Archive and the archive of National Military History. These documents are not digital and I will have to go to the archives to have a look at them and be able to make copies of them.
    I will do my best to keep this thread updated whenever I acquire new information.

Then the lot of items. In it are his medals, documents, ID-tags and books. The books are all about the fighting were he was involved in and the camps were he has been.

I'll start of showing the medals and ID-tags:
    (double click to enlarge)

In the next posts I will add the documents and books.

Enjoy!

Regards, Rik

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dutch WW2 Marine veteran lot
    P
    Many

?

Default Documents

And here are the documents in the lot:

(double click to enlarge)

The first three documents correspond with the first three medals on the medalbar, 1) a medal for his fighting during the invasion, 2) a medal for his time in the Dutch East Indies, 3) his medal for 12 years loyal service in the Dutch marines.
    The last document is from the Swedish consulate in Prague, confirming he is C. Moote from The Hague, the Netherlands.

In the next and for now final post are the books.
    Last edited by Rik.S; 10-22-2019 at 12:46 PM.

?

Here are the books from the lot, all are Dutch books.
    I still have to read them but I do know they are about the actions of the marines during the invasion, in the Dutch East Indies and after the war, and also about the camps were marine Moote has been.

(doubleclick to enlarge)

As said before, this is it for now and I will update the thread whenever I receive new information.

?

Rik, a very interesting thread and nicely documented artifacts. I look forward to seeing more as your research continues. Thanks for posting.

Regards, Al

Very nice collection Rik, of course I especially like the Teillager Zbv Ekm, very unusual and of course excellent to have it from the veterans family too!