Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ejection Seat and Strategic Air Command Collection

Article about: For those who have an interest in the Strategic Air Command and Cold War Era relics, here is a small collection of SAC items along with materials from the Nuclear Deterrent from the Cold War

Default Ejection Seat and Strategic Air Command Collection

For those who have an interest in the Strategic Air Command and Cold War Era relics, here is a small collection of SAC items along with materials from the Nuclear Deterrent from the Cold War. I have several Ejection Seats, all documented to their respective aircraft along with the histories of those war birds. Researching them is as enjoyable as finding the items and working to complete them. The seats I have are from an F-105, B-52D and an F-4 Phantom II. Some of the items below I need some help with and I have listed my questions beside the specific item. So if anyone out there has flown these aircraft or recognize some of the items - any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SAC Collection

F-105B Ejection Seat - Aircraft 57-5793. Flew with the 4th Tac Fighter Wing, then assigned as a "Thunderbird" Aircraft for the short time they flew F-105s, and ended it's career with the NJ National Guard. This Aircraft reportedly was used during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

F-105B 57-5793

B-52D Ejection Seat from Aircraft 56-0672

B-52D 56-0672 Operational - this Aircraft first flew with the 92 Bombardment Wing in August 1957, then the 91st, 28th, 22nd, 99th, 93rd, 28th, and 7th Bombardment wings. It took part in the bombing of North Vietnam and was disposed of in 1983

The eventual disposal of B-52Ds at Davis Mothan

F-4E Phantom II Seat - Aircraft 74-1060. This is my most complete seat, everything is here but it is completely inert - keeps me from popping a hole in the ceiling which I am sure would hurt… it has a built in oxygen supply, altimeter, and numerous other unique systems. Details on all of these seats can be found at the "Ejection Site" which is wonderful and I have used to learn about these things, the url is http://www.ejectionsite.com

The actual Aircraft (furthest in photo toward the top) - it was Manufactured by McDonnell Douglas Aircraft in St. Louis and delivered on Jun3 8, 1976. Was assigned to the 50th Tactical Fighter Wing USAFE in Hahn AB Germany, then to the 52nd, back to Europe with the 52nd in Spangdahlem AB Germany in May 1981, then the 37th, 35th and in 1992 was assigned to Davis Mothan and converted to a QF-4E "Drone" in 1993 where it became a "target" for F-15 Training and as I understand most likely is now at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

F-4C "HUD" Targeting Optic

B-52 Throttles for the 8 engines

The "RED" Phone - Alert, Launch etc…

"Korry" ICBM Launch Status Indicators

"Scramble" Comm. Box

B-52D Attack Controls for the weapons - if anyone out there is a former B-52D Weapons Operator, I'd enjoy hearing from you about the use of these individual units. From reading I understand the DCU-9A is one of the nuke arming units??? Would like to confirm that. Third shelf down from the top - left most item when viewing.

Atlas ICBM Silo Status Panel

Does anyone out there know anything about British systems on the Vulcan Bomber? I was told the below panel is an arming panel from one of these birds. I have no idea… but it looked neat and the price was right on eBay of all places so I bought it… would enjoy hearing about it ...

The top 2 sticks are from a F-4 Phantom, front and rear sticks… the other black joystick (bottom) is from a Soviet MIG 21

5th Bombardment Wing Sign and Aircraft SAC Decal

The old way of handling Strategic Air Bombardment - the Norden Bomb Sighting System - complete and operational

Numerous "Target Tags" which were warning labels on arming pins and wires removed by the bombardiers. These were marked with the Target names and dates. All have been verified with the 8th AAF Diary.

Numerous odds and ends, a wing light from an F-4, Canopy Ejection lever from an F-4, several Soviet Missile parts removed and "souvenir'ed" during the destruction of Soviet ICBMs, Ejection Seat survival rations etc…

Thank you again for any help that anyone can provide information wise on some of the above items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ejection Seat and Strategic Air Command Collection
    P
    Many

?

That is a Great collection. I was a A4 Skyhawk(VMAT-102) Avionics tech in the early 80's but we had F4's(VMFT-101)in the squadron next to us. Sorry I can't help, but love your collection!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil - thanks for looking, and for your service. Neat stuff and so interesting to hear about from you all who flew or worked on these birds. Dan.

?

That is a stunning collection of Cold War era artifacts. Fascinating to view, thanks for sharing!

That is a great collection and well display.
    Something to be proud of.
    chris

I'm particularly impressed by the B-52 Throttle controls. An awesome collectable. A Superb collection!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Brillant collection you have there?,my grandad used to work at RAF fairford when the Americans were there my grandad was friendly with a few of the B52 polits that were leaving for the first gulf war not lot before they left they gave him there unit patches from there flight suits and he gave them to me I must post them sometime!

?

A great collection. Dang, you must have a lot of room in your house!

That is an amazing collection and so well presented. I really like the Norden bombsight. I have read that many of these were made in Detroit by aging prostitutes. Just a bit of trivia for you there.

Superb collection, really great display.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast