Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flamethrower mask

Article about: I bought this item a couple of years ago,sold as ww2 german flamethrower mask,can not find any inform on its use I would be grateful if anybody can give me any information and tell me what i

Default Flamethrower mask

I bought this item a couple of years ago,sold as ww2 german flamethrower mask,can not find any inform on its use I would be grateful if anybody can give me any information and tell me what it would be worth.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flamethrower mask   Flamethrower mask  

Flamethrower mask   Flamethrower mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flamethrower mask
    P
    Many

Default Re: Flamethrower mask

What does the lettering spell out, I can't read it due to the glare...interesting item, I would have thought it was a cold-weather face-mask...
    cheers, Glenn

Do you mean cold weather mask?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

it appears to say HAGENUN 1941

No flamethrower connection: It's a Säureschutzmaske [acid protection mask], part of the full Säureschutzanzug [acid protection suit] which also included the protective jacket, pants and gloves.

(This was used by the Luftwaffe; I don't know whether it saw use with the other branches as well.)

Photos of the protective suit (without mask) in wear can be found here: Axis History Forum • Female SS Smoke Troops

would this be in connection with the ME163s fuel.?

Not sure if you are right,it says SS Smoke troops were established in 1943 ,the date on mask says 1941.Could have been a protype that was not successful.

I don't see any SS connection to this item, friend...I tend to agree with HPL2008's opinion that this is likely Luftwaffe-related instead....A scarce item not often seen, however...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by cromwell View Post
    Not sure if you are right,it says SS Smoke troops were established in 1943 ,the date on mask says 1941.Could have been a protype that was not successful.
    It was not a prototype and it was not developed for the SS. The acid protection suit was in Luftwaffe use by 1936/1937.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    would this be in connection with the ME163s fuel.?
    Good question; you're thinking of the T-Stoff, whose extreme oxidizing potential required special protective clothing for its handlers. Acccording to the Wikipedia article on the stuffl...:

"....T-Stoff was a very dangerous chemical to handle, so special rubberized suits were required when working with it, as it would react with most cloth, leather, or other combustible material and cause it to spontaneously combust."

Provided the above information is correct, this would imply that the Säureschutzanzug - which was made of leather - was not suitable for this purpose and another type of suit was used.

In any case, given the protective suit's pre-war introduction date, it was definitely not developed for the Me-163 project.

T-Stoff and Z-Stoff combined created one hell of reaction. Enough to melt your skin and bones.