Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good frame/case for medals?

Article about: Hi guys, Annoyed from this ads?   I'm looking to buy a good quality frame/case to showcase my small collection, which is mostly composed of medals. I've seen displays with UV protection

?

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    I did the shadow box from Michaels before, I actually threaded the medals in at first... then I built a foam backing with holes (all German medals at the time). It looked great, but my problem was how much of a hassle it was when I acquired something new. After a while, I just gave up. Now I use the little plastic stands, or just lay them on the shelf. It does make a nice display in a shadow box though, I hope to see the final product soon!
    Indeed, adding anything will definitely be a hassle. Still, my intention is to eventually stop buying new items. But for some reason I feel like I'm not the first one who said that at some point. :P

I will definitely post a picture once it's done. I still have a couple of times in the mail though, so I have to wait for them to arrive.

Pretty nice. I especially like the front opening. Not a fan of the frame though, I prefer a black and simple frame. It also seems to be a basic glass, I don't see any mention of UV-proofness. Still, for the price, great display!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Michaels sells the deep (1 inch) shadowboxes that are front opening with magnetic closures. They have a padded cloth backing which is nice as you can stick the medals in (or use pins if screwbacks). You can easily move them around. They come in 3 or 4 different sizes and 2 colors (Black and dark brown) but do not have UV glass

I uses these all the time. Have around 9 of them in use at the moment. I'm not at home but if you are interested I can follow up with the brand name. You can see them in this very old picture (in the background). I now have them hanging on the wall.

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1281.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	811422
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice collection

But aren't you worried about degrading your collection (over the course of decades) from UV exposure? I feel like, as collectors, we have a duty to preserve the pieces of history that we own.

?

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    I did the shadow box from Michaels before, I actually threaded the medals in at first... then I built a foam backing with holes (all German medals at the time). It looked great, but my problem was how much of a hassle it was when I acquired something new. After a while, I just gave up. Now I use the little plastic stands, or just lay them on the shelf. It does make a nice display in a shadow box though, I hope to see the final product soon!
    My shadowbox is finally done, and I just started a thread about it. You can see it here.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Reich View Post
    Nice collection

But aren't you worried about degrading your collection (over the course of decades) from UV exposure? I feel like, as collectors, we have a duty to preserve the pieces of history that we own.
    I just saw your reply. If you look at the picture, you can see that I have room darkening shades. 95% of the time the door is shut, the lights are off and the shades are down...the other 5% is when I say good night before I go to bed.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I just saw your reply. If you look at the picture, you can see that I have room darkening shades. 95% of the time the door is shut, the lights are off and the shades are down...the other 5% is when I say good night before I go to bed.
    I see! I tend to get paranoiac with these things.

Do you control room humidity as well?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Reich View Post
    I see! I tend to get paranoiac with these things.

Do you control room humidity as well?
    Indirectly. It is not too humid where I live. Only a bit at the height of the summer. We have central a/c. But to avoid too much humidity being pulled out of the air, I have the vent only partially open which keeps it just right. In the winter I shut the heat off in the room and only allow indirect heat into the room.

I don't tend to get too paranoid about UV/humidity. My apartment has tinted windows and the curtains are drawn 99.95% of the time. Regarding humidity, as I live in more or less constant AC the humidity levels don't fluctuate too much.

At the end of the day, nothing lasts forever. When the day comes that the sun dies and the earth is consumed, will it be important that a TR medal ribbon is still minty or faded?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    At the end of the day, nothing lasts forever. When the day comes that the sun dies and the earth is consumed, will it be important that a TR medal ribbon is still minty or faded?
    Of course, but pretty much everything looks meaningless when put this way, even life itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12