Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper

Article about: Update Gents, after 7 months of restoration the bow is fully funtional agian, having a new double string, missing parts have been handmade by a blacksmith and, the string was made by a bow e

Indeed nice pics.

We forget that weapons like this were 'state of the art' for their time.
    With this bow now strung and all essential parts in place, you can
    see not only beauty in it's design, but the potential for
    deadly accuracy.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Indeed nice pics.

We forget that weapons like this were 'state of the art' for their time.
    With this bow now strung and all essential parts in place, you can
    see not only beauty in it's design, but the potential for
    deadly accuracy.........
    Hi Steve,

indeed this is state of the art 400 years ago.
    Its got a fully functional trigger group inside its body.
    You only need to push the button under the body in front of the trigger and its armed, then the way it releases the double string by pulling the trigger is great, 2 springs inside the string release mechanism releases the nut that holds the string.
    The master blacksmith that made this bow 400 Y ago marked the lever to arm the string with his master mark: its a Deer.

great thing about this bow is that you can expose it in any room you like, not like the German Daggers who should not be available for all eyes, unless you wants a lot of questions

Ger

Not only that, but if anyone wants to try to make off with any of your daggers, you can now legally "put in a bolt in their buttocks", as they say! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

To penetrate armour at 275 yards with shot is no mean feat! Congratulations on the both the purchase and restoration.

A truly remarkable effort.

Cheers
    Tim

?

Gents here an update on my Crossbow project.
    I have replaced the visor ball by a genuine old bone one, and replaced the inlayed medallion in the grip for an oldpiece of bone that i made from an old bone bottle.
    I have also tried to find out who actualy build this one.
    I was able to buy a german book of 500 years of Weapon Markings on a German auctionsite.
    I have found two Markings that fit the Deer marking on the lever of my bow.
    Both 16th century, 1 is very early, as the craftsman died in 1503, but his " Waffenmark" could be passed on to his son...
    The other one fits perfectly this late 16th century bow, but his markings are normally found on Swords, perhaps he created more then only swords, who will tell?
    If any of you Gents have any info about Markings found on 16th century's crossbows that might fit the deer marking like mine, then be my guest and add them to this post!
    Regards,
    Ger
    Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpperHad to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper

Nice one! I like it a lot.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

That is history in a nutshell Ger, great restoration and a great display piece, i would think its as rare as hens teeth

?

Nice update Ger.. Somebody has been doing their homework!!!. Cheers Terry.

Nice German arms lesson quite possibly the oldest piece posted here enjoyed it something that one does not see without a visit to a German arms museum. timothy

?

Thank you Gents for the nice words!
    Its one of those pieces which you fall in love with.....i enjoy it each day!

Ger

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast