Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Home Front Gas Masks, British

Article about: Hello folks. Ever since I first took an interest in militaria, I've had a keen interest in gas masks in particular. I feel they're a very iconic item of the period, specifically the Home Fro

Default Home Front Gas Masks, British

Hello folks.

Ever since I first took an interest in militaria, I've had a keen interest in gas masks in particular. I feel they're a very iconic item of the period, specifically the Home Front. Who didn't go through school learning about air raids, sirens, shelters and wardens? When most people in Britain picture the Second World War, it's generally those things we think of first. The sirens wailing, the searchlights raking the black sky for enemy bombers. The blackout, always carrying your gas mask... those things have stuck with me since I first learnt about them. Perhaps because it's so close to home. To think that the streets we walk today here in the South-East were once a battlefield in of themselves during the dark days of the Blitz.

Do pardon my waffling!

Perhaps that's why I've been drawn to masks as somewhat of a specialization. Not only iconic of the time, but with a wide variety and still incredibly affordable. I present here all of the ones I have accumulated in my relatively short time as a collector. They're about the one thing I'll impulse buy, as they don't ruin my bank account in the process!

These are the most common type by far. Issued to every member of the civilian population, from school children to the elderly, and manufactured in three sizes. 'Small', 'Medium', and 'Large.' As simple a design as you'll find, these masks had no exhale valve. Instead, air was expelled around the edge of the facepiece whenever the wearer breathed out. There were a multitude of different manufacturers, the most common being Henley and Avon.

The first one, a size Medium. Manufactured by Romac, on the 24th June 1940. This one has no accompanying box.

The second, also a size Medium. Made by Avon, January 1939. Still in the box it was issued in, as they all would have been originally. It even retains a slip of paper to the front, denoting the county it was issued in: Wiltshire. Of note is that all Avon masks were made in a different rubber to other variations, which also happens to be much more durable and less prone to perishing.

Number three. Size Large. Made by Henley in September 1937. It comes with an aftermarket tin, stamped 1940 on the base. These would have been sold by enterprising companies to people looking for an alternative to the standard cardboard box. This one is badly rotted, although I shall retain it. Whatever condition it's in, it's history and it needs preserving.

My newest one. A size Small, made by L & B.R. Co. in July 1939. The container for this one is a rather hard one to find. A faux leather case, made in the style of a purse or handbag. Clearly aimed at the discerning lady, who wouldn't be seen dead with a bulky cardboard box on her hip. Although judging by period footage, these were as popular with men as they were with women. It's by far the slimmest, most lightweight option, and has loops for attachment to the wearer's belt.

Interesting pieces to collect, and cheap. I hope this thread is of interest to some.

B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 05-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Home Front Gas Masks, British
    P
    Many

Thread updated to focus on this specific mask type. Will post others separately, as I'd hate to bundle everything into one thread and detract from individual pieces.

Regards, B.B.