Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Incendiary bomb display

Article about: Hi everyone, thought I would do a display on German incendiary bombs dropped on the UK, and related items. Seen here is a Fire guards helmet (fire guards being civillians trained to watch fo

Default Incendiary bomb display

Hi everyone, thought I would do a display on German incendiary bombs dropped on the UK, and related items.

Seen here is a Zuckerman type Fire Guards helmet (fire guards being civillians trained to watch for, and tackle small fires- my grandmother was a fireguard during the London Blitz) and arm band. The helmet is marked SFP, I have heard lots of variations for possible meanings, such as 'Street Fire Patrol' or 'Supplementary Fire Party'. Also several Air Raid Precautions booklets, including the open one, which illustrates how to extinguish incendiary bombs. Also, an incendiary bomb dated 1942 and fitted with a weighted 'tile breaking' end cap, designed to penetrate roof tiles, and two bomb fins including one which fell on Norwich in 1942. The backdrop photograph is the most famous picture of the London Blitz, showing St Pauls cathedral surrounded by smoke.

If anyone knows the significance of the different coloured fins, please let me know.

Incendiary bombs were made of magnesium and filled with thermite, on detonation they burned at extremely high temperatures and could be difficult to extinguish. Many thousands were dropped on British cities during the war.

Any comments welcome.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Incendiary bomb display  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Incendiary bomb display
    P
    Many

What a nice set as always douglas!I am back,hope that you are ok as well as your family!Cheers

Me and the family are all well. How are things with you?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Incendiary bomb display  

Nice display !

Great display, In the late 90's my team covered the west side of London whilst the Met's underwater search team was being reformed. e maybe carried out about 30 dives over the period of a year and on almost every one we found at least one of these little beauties.

Robin, those certainly sounds like some interesting experiences!

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Me and the family are all well. How are things with you?
    Im fine thank you mate!That's a very nice picture,God bless you,see you soon!

You will need these items after Brexit.

?

Douglas I watched a two part program about the Blitz.. well it covered December 1940.. I think 29th not sure of that date. Interesting, all about Shoe Lane & St Pauls being hit by these bombs. Must have been surreal to live through those days.. I went bought myself a Incendiary Bomb after watching that lol...

Nice display as well.. Cheers Terry.

I recall finding one of these in the field close to our house in Lampertheim, Germany when I was a youngster...played with it, threw it around...It's probably still there where I left it...And although I had a suspicion that it might be an Incendiary Stick ("Stab-Brand-Bombe") I was clearly not mature enough to fully comprehend my foolish recklessness at the time...The Hexagonal Shape of the piece is a feature that I remember very well today...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast