Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle

Article about: Hi Guys... just thought that you might be interested to see this fairly rare example of a WW2 era ship in a bottle, flying both an Italian flag and a swastika. According to a very well known

?

Default Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle

Hi Guys... just thought that you might be interested to see this fairly rare example of a WW2 era ship in a bottle, flying both an Italian flag and a swastika. According to a very well known American collector and authority on SIBs, this was most certainly made by an Italian POW... it has 2 names inside the bottle... the maker 'A.Pedeazoli' (written on the tiniest piece of paper and attached to the inside of the bottom of the bottle), and the name 'Lotto' (possibly the ship's name, also written on a piece of paper and attached inside the neck). The bottle itself is triangular, rather slim and about 12 inches in length. It has a glass and cork stopper and has written in English on the underside 'This bottle must not be used as a food container'. As you can see, the ship has a lot of fine rigging and is sailing into, or out of, a harbor, with a small yacht along side....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle   Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Interesting POW Ship in a Bottle

That`s neat,I like models like that,do you own it?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Hi Zwerge... interesting name that you have, I used to have a girlfriend who's surname was Zwerger, and of course, Zwerg is German for midget, or dwarf (plural being Zwerge)...
    Anyway, pleased that you like the ship... yes, I do own it, I have a collection of about 30 ships in bottles, some of them very old and in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but none of them quite like this one because of the unique colors she's flying! It's an interesting art, and if you could see how narrow the neck of this particular bottle is, it's amazing how they manage to work through such a confined space. I don't actually collect them anymore and I am now mainly interested in WW11 belt buckles... I'm starting to think about maybe swapping this ship for a couple of buckles, not sure yet though, it would all depend on the buckles... natürlich!
    Cheers... Hansi

that is a nice piece of art, I just don't know if I could build something that great in a bottle. very nice. I had 1 ship in a bottle, but some one BORROWED it from me years ago, but that is a very nice one you have.

?

Thanks buddy... you certainly need steady hands and a lot of spare time to build a good one, that's for sure. Lovely objects though, especially if they're displayed in a good spot with the light shining through them... sorry to hear about your 1 ship "sailing away" like that!
    Cheers... Hansi

Quote by Hansi View Post
    Thanks buddy... you certainly need steady hands and a lot of spare time to build a good one, that's for sure. Lovely objects though, especially if they're displayed in a good spot with the light shining through them... sorry to hear about your 1 ship "sailing away" like that!
    Cheers... Hansi
    yeah she hit the waves years ago, when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, fitting place I guess, so I don't miss her so much anymore, wouldn't matter if I did. it's history.

?

A very good attitude to have... and luckily, rather than fretting about the small things that we can't change... there are plenty of good things in life to be focussing on instead... like, how on earth am I going to afford that WW2 Tank that's on eBay... and will it fit in my garage...?!
    Cheers mate... Hansi

Sburke
    ?

In Canada when my Grandfather was a POW guard in one of the Ontario camps he was given a Nativity Scene in a bottle by one of the POW he befriended in 1943. Same idea of the ship in a bottle but this one was a nativity scene. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this or do I have a 'one-of-a-kind'?
    If you're interested in a photo email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Steve