Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The Jewel in the Crown

Article about: Interestly, I have the earlier 9th Anti Aircraft Division insignia which was originally worn on this uniform. Formed October 1940, but disbanded by September 1942. These were div flashes wer

Default Re: The Jewel in the Crown

Interestly, I have the earlier 9th Anti Aircraft Division insignia which was originally worn on this uniform. Formed October 1940, but disbanded by September 1942. These were div flashes were ordered out of use and replaced by the universal AA Command flashes, which she has a couple spares of.

These 9th A/A Div flashes take the form of a black cat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Jewel in the Crown   The Jewel in the Crown  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Jewel in the Crown
    P
    Many

Here is here first BD Blouse. Dated 1941. A standard issue item which she would have purchased from the unit QM stores.

Worsted rank crowns worn on the shoulder strap. Name tape to the neck.

Her ribbons, as seen on previous ATS & FANY tunics, are for the Jubillee Medal 1937 and the League of Mercy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Jewel in the Crown   The Jewel in the Crown  

The Jewel in the Crown  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Jewel in the Crown 

This is her ATS service dress tunic she wore while serving as senior British female officer at SHAEF.

She now wears the FANY/WTS shoulder titles by all former members of the FANY serving in the ATS.

I really like the high quality SHAEF flash.

The Jewel in the Crown  

To go with the BD Blouse, here are her ATS slacks. Once again named with a woven name tape.

Again they are the issue item. The ink stamped "P" WD inspection code marking should equate to 1941.

Here we have 7 of her skirts.

Two are issue, while the rest are tailor made. Note the different cuts and materials.

The Jewel in the Crown  

I even have her stockings, 16 pairs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Jewel in the Crown  

I will now show her ATS Officers beret.

The Jewel in the Crown   The Jewel in the Crown  

Here is her Field Service cap. The quality is superb.

Made in by London by "AJ White Ltd, Hatters & Cap makers, Burlington Gardens, W1 "

The Jewel in the Crown  

Hi Lez,

Wow - truly comprehensive and amazing uniform grouping. I wholeheartedly agree with the 'Jewel in the Crown' status! Many thanks for sharing this with us

Cheers,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-09-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo!
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

As I mentioned earlier at the start of this thread, she continued in service after the war. In 1949 the ATS became the WRAC.

Here is an ATS issue BD blouse which she had tailored to the new stepped open collar. Note it is a wartime 1942 dated blouse.

The Jewel in the Crown   The Jewel in the Crown  

The Jewel in the Crown  

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast