Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe 'Ace' Gunther Rall Signed Photograph and Letter.

Article about: This is just one item out of a vast collection of military autographs which i have and i have to say its one of my personal favourites. I first wrote to Gunther Rall the third highest scorin

Default Luftwaffe 'Ace' Gunther Rall Signed Photograph and Letter.

This is just one item out of a vast collection of military autographs which i have and i have to say its one of my personal favourites. I first wrote to Gunther Rall the third highest scoring German fighter 'ace' of WW2 a good few years back when i was researching lost German aircrews of WW2. In my first letter to this great man i asked for a signed photo which he duly sent back without delay. In the second letter i asked about which of the weapon configurations he preffered in the Bf109-the German fighter he had claimed almost all of his 275 victories in. In his reply he invited me to meet him when in London to talk about this subject. Sure enough he was a man of his word and we met in a hotel in London while he was here on special invitation to take part in the Aces High Emporium. After talking for at least an hour i was amazed at how at the age of 85 he remembered virtually everything and answered all of my questions with keeness. It was allways amazing when Gunther Rall attended the big air shows over here as he was treated like a celebrity and allways had a crowd around him wanting autographs. Though some RAF Bomber Command veterans did kick up a stink over his celebrity status and felt this was distasteful-they were promptly reminded by one senior RAF pilot "That guys the war ended 50 years ago and this man flew for NATO in post war West Germany". My only regret is that i never had my photo taken with him as i thought i could do this another time. Sadly since then Gunther Rall has passed away but i am glad that i had the pleasure of meeting this exceptional character and one of the greatest pilots of WW2. Regards, Tim.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 'Ace' Gunther Rall Signed Photograph and Letter.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe 'Ace' Gunther Rall Signed Photograph and Letter.

Hi ,Tim. Thank you for posting this. The autographed picture is awesome, not to mention actually getting to meet and discuss the war with such a highly decorated pilot. I really enjoyed reading your story. Cass

Default Re: Luftwaffe 'Ace' Gunther Rall Signed Photograph and Letter.

Quote by sawman View Post
    Hi ,Tim. Thank you for posting this. The autographed picture is awesome, not to mention actually getting to meet and discuss the war with such a highly decorated pilot. I really enjoyed reading your story. Cass
    Hi Cass, Yes Gunther Rall was a gentleman that allways tried to make time for those interested in his exploits of WW2 which were many and varied. He was a colourful and vibrant character and spoke with deep respect for all those involved in the air war of WW2. He was without doubt one of the greatest and is greatly missed. Regards, Tim.