Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Market finds in the Horn of Africa

Article about: Hello all. I am new to this site and really enjoy it. I thought I would post some of my finds from Africa. I was stationed there from Sept. 2009 through May 2011 at Camp Lemmonier with the U

?

Default Market finds in the Horn of Africa

Hello all. I am new to this site and really enjoy it. I thought I would post some of my finds from Africa. I was stationed there from Sept. 2009 through May 2011 at Camp Lemmonier with the US Navy CB's. I was able to come up with some real neat items. Some you wondered how they ever ended up there and others that were from there. Some I bought, some I found, and some I traded for.
    I thought I would share some of the pictures with you. I will post some new pics as I dig out the items from my trunks.
    The French there often would trade the local shops their stuff for the tourist junk. So I was able to get some neat stuff from one dealer in particular that held military items for me to get first dibs. I also had a translator that worked with me that I was able to help me out a lot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Market finds in the Horn of Africa   Market finds in the Horn of Africa  

Market finds in the Horn of Africa   Market finds in the Horn of Africa  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Market finds in the Horn of Africa
    P
    Many

The Lovat Scouts and Royal marines light infantry buttons are pretty cool as is the 7th QOH cap badge/collar? Some cool items and you do wonder how some things end up where they do. For the Aliied items, lots of their troops shipped through S Africa during the wars to get to the middle and far east.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Market finds in the Horn of AfricaMarket finds in the Horn of AfricaMarket finds in the Horn of AfricaMarket finds in the Horn of Africa
    Here are a few more things that I got.
    The helmet is from the Djibouti Fire department. You can see the are former French helmets.
    The black hat is from the Djibouti National police force. I got this one and a visor cap from my translator's father who retired from them in 2006.
    The beret I am not sure of? It has a Belgium stamp on the inside, but have no clue what the flash/patch is from.
    I was shocked when the shop owner pulled out to WW2 US bayonets. The garand is marked AFH (American fork hoe)
    The leather handled one is a camilus m-1 carbine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Market finds in the Horn of Africa   Market finds in the Horn of Africa  

Very nice items. Lots of French stuff - and the badges are
    quite collectable as there are many different types.

Interesting to me is the Imperial German Kriegsmarine
    button in the third pic.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I know in Kenya there was a lot of German stuff. But sadly I was not allowed to stop at those markets when I was there. When we were in traffic I seen a shop that had German helmets among others. It is funny how keen your eyes get when your a collector.

Neat !

?

Here are a couple of swords from Ethiopia during the reign of King Menelik. I had a civilian engineer from Ethiopia translate them for me.
    The one with the wood handle appears to have a Europian made blade. The one with the handle made of horn is I believe a German made blade. It is also (according to my co-worker) was owned by someone in the royal family. According to the writing on it. It also features a coin from that time on the bottom of the handle.
    The sheaths are of animal hide, most likely cow, but who knows with out a DNA test.
    From my understanding many of the blades where ordered from Germany, England and a few other countries.
    The royal family and royal guards would of course get the best blades.
    The royal guards were have said to have their handles made from Rhino horn.
    What is neat is these swords were also used to fight and repel the Italian army. There are still old bunkers around that were used by Italy during the war.
    There is not a lot of info out there on swords from this part of the world.
    I also included a picture of me in the shop wear I got them.

Market finds in the Horn of Africa  

Nice stuff. it is amazing what you will find. by the way What part of Iowa are you from? if you don't mind me asking.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

South of Ames. I live out in the country close to Slater.

I am in Mt. Pleasant.
    Small world, isn't it?
    Welcome to the forum. I have been here for a long time and have met and made friends with a lot of very good people from all over the world.
    Cheers,

John

Quote by popeye View Post
    South of Ames. I live out in the country close to Slater.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast