Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Misc medals

Article about: Here are some of my odds & ends of medals. The first is how my medals were displayed in the late 50s - pinned onto a bath towel and nailed to my bedroom wall. Sarge Attachment 702251

?

Cool Misc medals

Here are some of my odds & ends of medals. The first is how my medals were displayed in the late 50s - pinned onto a bath towel and nailed to my bedroom wall.
    Sarge

Misc medalsMisc medalsMisc medalsMisc medalsMisc medalsAttachment 702251

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Misc medals
    P
    Many

Nice! I especially like the blood order, is there any story behind it? Collecting must have been so much different and easier back then.

?

Thumbs up

Different - yes, Easier - NO!
    There was no internet and no network of collectors to discuss things untill into the mid/late 60s. Around Kansas City there were only 6 or 8 guys who collected WW 2 German in the mid 60s and I had as much or more than any one of them. I kept a card file of collectors from all over the US and still have it though it is badly out dated.
    I collected by running adds in the Kansas City paper and a couple of county papers among other ways. Then I discovered ShotGun News about a year after it started and began to advertise in it.
    There were NO references on any type of military items so you learned by looking at stuff and as other collectors were discovered by comparing notes and ideas on things.
    No idea where/when I got the blood Order and have never tried to research the ser nr on it.
    Some where among my stuff is a ledger where I wrote down every item I bought, sold or traded for 25+ yrs. I began to do this about 6 or 8 years after I started collecting in 1953.
    Sarge

Quote by Sarge View Post
    Different - yes, Easier - NO!
    There was no internet and no network of collectors to discuss things untill into the mid/late 60s. Around Kansas City there were only 6 or 8 guys who collected WW 2 German in the mid 60s and I had as much or more than any one of them. I kept a card file of collectors from all over the US and still have it though it is badly out dated.
    I collected by running adds in the Kansas City paper and a couple of county papers among other ways. Then I discovered ShotGun News about a year after it started and began to advertise in it.
    There were NO references on any type of military items so you learned by looking at stuff and as other collectors were discovered by comparing notes and ideas on things.
    No idea where/when I got the blood Order and have never tried to research the ser nr on it.
    Some where among my stuff is a ledger where I wrote down every item I bought, sold or traded for 25+ yrs. I began to do this about 6 or 8 years after I started collecting in 1953.
    Sarge
    I understand and I think I put my comment in the wrong way, as it truly was way harder back then in that aspect. What I meant to say that it was easier money wise, as the items values have been rocketing ever since. Of course you need to take inflation in to account, when you go that far back.

Some rare items in there that I would like to see some high-detail individual threads on. (e.g the blood order, cholm shield, eagle order etc)

?

Some excellent medals there Sarge.. like Glenn says some detailed photos would be great to look at.. Cheers Terry.

Very nice indeed Sarge !!! Some great items !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Display of a nice bunch of stuff Sarge as stated some of it is rare as stated detailed photo's of items are a must to let the experts see them that will give you a good opinion we have a lot of knowledge here on this forum and I hope they can help you in your items. In ref to the KC area there were a few dealers up there that were not on the up and up after the yrs you speak of 70's 80's timothy

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    I understand and I think I put my comment in the wrong way, as it truly was way harder back then in that aspect. What I meant to say that it was easier money wise, as the items values have been rocketing ever since. Of course you need to take inflation in to account, when you go that far back.
    Well, if you consider that in the early 1950s I was working in the hay fields as a kid for .50 an hr then $5 for something was a lot of money!!! A $20 P.38 = 40 hrs work. I don't consider that to be at all cheap!!!
    My cased Knights Cross cost me $50 altho by then - 1956 - I was a 3rd class Petty Officer in the Navy making $120 a month.
    Not sure what I have in close ups of most of this stuff as when most of these photos were taken I did not have that capability/knowlege. Currently don't have a working camera so would have to get with a friend to get new photos.
    And for your info, I think I have a considerable amount of knowlege on this stuff myself as I've been collecting WW 2 German since my first K98k in 1953 - back in the day when there were No references/books available on the subjekt. I was buying everything I got from vets who had brought it back as there was no other source for it. I did not meet another collector till the late 50s.
    Sarge

Quote by Sarge View Post
    Well, if you consider that in the early 1950s I was working in the hay fields as a kid for .50 an hr then $5 for something was a lot of money!!! A $20 P.38 = 40 hrs work. I don't consider that to be at all cheap!!!
    My cased Knights Cross cost me $50 altho by then - 1956 - I was a 3rd class Petty Officer in the Navy making $120 a month.
    Not sure what I have in close ups of most of this stuff as when most of these photos were taken I did not have that capability/knowlege. Currently don't have a working camera so would have to get with a friend to get new photos.
    And for your info, I think I have a considerable amount of knowlege on this stuff myself as I've been collecting WW 2 German since my first K98k in 1953 - back in the day when there were No references/books available on the subjekt. I was buying everything I got from vets who had brought it back as there was no other source for it. I did not meet another collector till the late 50s.
    Sarge
    Well I didn't mean to offend and I don't know why you have to be so reluctant. I didn't comment on how much a person made back then, as it I think it's quite obvious and especially at a young age. It is common to talk about prices on the forum and how they increased over the years. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.