MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My 14 year old sons small allied collection

Article about: Hi all, Just a few pictures of my sons allied collection which is his pride and joy. This collection is inspired by his great grandad Bramley Roberts (pictured) who served during the second

Default My 14 year old sons small allied collection

Hi all,
    Just a few pictures of my sons allied collection which is his pride and joy. This collection is inspired by his great grandad Bramley Roberts (pictured) who served during the second world war. Although the collection isn't extravagant in size or value his dedication to it is huge buying all within these pictures from his own pocket money, birthdays etc.
    Some of the pictures include
    1942 BMB dispatch riders helmet
    1941 Zuckerman helmet with 1939 gas mask
    2 x named medal sets
    Collection of ARP manuals (which he is trying to complete)
    Dug up tin of medals (which included a quite rare Dutch airman's cross)
    Selection of wartime newspapers
    ARP & HG badges
    ARP first aid book
    Medics bag
    1938 French gas mask in bag

Hope you enjoy

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 14 year old sons small allied collection   My 14 year old sons small allied collection  

My 14 year old sons small allied collection   My 14 year old sons small allied collection  

My 14 year old sons small allied collection   My 14 year old sons small allied collection  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My 14 year old sons small allied collection
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Always great to see a new collector starting to collect . If you start them young they'll love it for life .

Thanks for sharing , best of luck to both of you .

Good lad him

I was about his age when I got the bug I hope he continues his interest, we need young blood to support the "cause" you will surely get pleasure yourself from sharing an interest with your son.

I was quite taken by the medals in the tin box which you describe as "dug up" if they were buried together it is likely they belonged to the same recipient. My imagination runs mad at the possible story behind that!

Thanks for showing this encouraging post.

Nice collection BTW, nothing shabby there

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes we both share the bug as I collect german militaria so we do a fair bit of shopping together 😆. Yes we've been trying to do some research on the dug up medals (that's what the antique dealer told him when he paid a few pounds for them) only lead we have is the name "symmons" which was on the photo in the tin.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Andre

?

Always remind him to purchase things that are quality display items and items that are in great condition!
    I made this mistake when I was young. Although making mistakes is always the best way to learn from them. Best of luck to your son and yourself. Looking at his collection, I'd say he's caught the bug

Regards,
    Bas

A great start to a lifes time passion regards ,Paul

Andre, Your son is off to a great start and it's a wonderful hobby to be shared by father and son.
    Very nicely displayed young man Bob

?

Great collection! Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Advice from a 15 year old collector;

1) Figure out what you are really interested in and collect that, you can't buy everything. The value that other people put on things doesn't matter, what matters is how much you like it.

2) A penny saved is a penny earned, don't spend money on things that you don't really like or buy it just because it's a good deal, that's how I ended up with a bunch of junk I don't want.

3) Spend time researching, you can save a lot of money if you know what it is before you buy.

4) Trust your gut, if something meets all written criteria but you still don't like it, think to yourself "will I be happy with this on my shelf, or will I regret purchasing it?"

Good luck, and you're off to a good start!
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Great Start!

I started around the same age and was only able to buy my first militaria lot since my dad was with me and let me "borrow the money"

My father gave me a health respect for history, antiques,militaria.

While he was not a super formally educated man he made up for with fellowship in support in the hobby.

I now spend a great deal of time trying to talk him out of buying the fakes he is thinking of buying

Super,Super Start!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast