Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Collection - Part 1

Article about: Thought it was about time I posted a picture of at least part of my collection – and had to get the trailer out of the workshop, where most of the larger items are stored at the weekend, so

?

Default My Collection - Part 1

Thought it was about time I posted a picture of at least part of my collection – and had to get the trailer out of the workshop, where most of the larger items are stored at the weekend, so took the opportunity of taking a quick snap. The green torpedo shaped item to the left is the Ash radar rail from a Firefly (MB688) – caused quite a stir and rapid evacuation of the hole when it made its first appearance!

The .50s are left to right: 2 x P-39 Airacobra nose, 2 x A-26 turret, 1 unidentified trawler brought in find, 1 Mustang III (removed and hidden by a couple of schoolboys after the crash – like in Westall’s Machine Gunners)

The large very bent weapon to the right is one of my favourites - an American M2 20mm cannon made by Oldsmobile, still protruding through the propeller hub of P-39 Airacobra (BX195) – This was a P400 variant built for the RAF and was fitted with this weapon instead of the 37mm cannon used on the US aircraft, probably to fit in with the then current RAF weapons and ammunition supply and also as the 37mm T9 installation had limited ammunition capacity, a low rate of fire, and was prone to jamming. Though the lighter weight probably helped slightly with performance too?

My Collection - Part 1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Collection - Part 1
    P
    Many

Default Re: My Collection - Part 1

Very nice!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Just awesome. Very nice.

?

Thanks guys - glad you like them - though confess they do not look their best at the moment and I hope to be able to spend some time on them soon - any recommendations on what gives the best finish? The .50 on the extreme right is probably the most corroded I have seen as the schoolboys who removed it hid it in a ditch - a friend "parkerised" (spelling?) for me. I was going to stick to just cleaning the others as best I can, probably with a soft or even brass rotary wire brush & then oil applied with a rag.

Will try to get a photo of my other 20mms soon.

Only just found this thread!!
    Very very nice I can feel myself going green. Ha

I don't suppose you have a spare top cover for an m2 50cal you could part with for a project I've got?

Andy

?

Woah that 20mm barrel has seen one hell of an impact. Man I would not have liked to have been in the cockpit behind that. Ouch!

Nice collection Nick,
    I'd love to have one of those in my display. As for the finish I would personally go for getting it parkerized, But the barrel on the far right one looks a bit too far gone to re-finish. You might try to find a replacement barrel. You could get a worn out one for display fairly cheap.
    Good luck in your restorations
    Burt

?

Thanks for your comments:

Burt - the parkerized one worked quite well and was done some 15 years ago and has remained stable - trouble is the mate who did it emigrated to Oz! Don't think I can really send him another to do through the post! The .50 second from the right is a trawler brought in item, the barrel itself is actually not that bad, but the shroud has had it - I have another spare one I may swap over - the gun the spare shroud is off was rendered "safe" by EOD - with semtex! and is beyond repair :-(

Andy - Sorry, no spare breech covers - I actually need two myself - if you look at the best two guns they are missing - They were in a complete A-26 turret that I loaned to a museum - but without my consent, they pulled the turret to bits and the guns - I only found out when the museum closed. I went to collect the turret, but found the stripped frame was sat out side rusting and the gun mounting section was missing, as were the guns - I eventually found them in a storeroom, but the breech covers and oil buffers had been removed and had vanished :-(

Diomac - in the P-39, the engine is behind the pilot, so on impact, it came through the cockpit and hit the back of the gun, squashing it against solid limestone - the aircraft suffered engine failure (turned out to be a dropped valve) and the pilot waited until he cleared a nearby village before he bailed out - sadly he was too low for his chute to deploy properly and he was killed - a brave man indeed.