Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My collection so far

Article about: Hi all. Here are a some pics of my colection thus far. Regards Nick

Default Re: My collection so far

Hello Nick,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats for this nice display.
    This camo battle damaged Stahlhelm looks nice...maybe could you post some additional pictures showing it...

"I didn't use any weapon in combat during the war, but i killed hundreds, perhaps thousands of men...they're now at the bottom of the sea"
    Walter Borg (ex-MI6) Agent and radio operator in Malta, Tunisia and Italy between 1941 and 1945. Arrested twice, tortured twice, escaped twice, survived the war...

"The future torments us, the past holds us, that is why the present escapes us."
    Gustave Flaubert

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice collection Nick !

Hi JPhilip.

Here are some more pics of my m16.

I bought this helm from a womman here in Cape Town South Africa, she had just moved into a new house and while clearing out stuff in the bacement she found and old trunk with three helmets in it. - She posted an add on the local gumtree site with no pics. I saw it an aranged a meeting, when i got to here place i knew that this was a good find. i offerd her R300 cash for all 3 three, that works out to $30 usd, 10$ each..hehehehehehe~!!!!

i asked her if she found any medals,,,, she said she did , but she thout they wer junk and threw them out,!!!!!!! i could have slaped her!

Also when doing some reserch i read an intresting part of the story of the camo for these m16's,

see below extract from wikipedia.

"Originally painted Feldgrau (field grey), the Stahlhelm was often camouflaged by troops in the field using mud, foliage, cloth covers, and paint. Official issue cloth covers in white and grey appeared in late 1916 and early 1917. Camouflage paint was not formally introduced until July 1918, when German Army Order II, No 91 366, signed by General Erich Ludendorff on 7 July 1918, outlined official standards for helmet camouflage. The order stipulated that helmets should be painted in several colors, separated by a finger-wide black line. The colors should be relevant to the season, such as using green, brown and ochre in summer."

Lastly. this one has a bullet hole on the side, iv spend alot of time thinking about what could have happend.

one of the thoughts that crossed my mind was the WW1 trench warefare and troops on both sides of the line were picked off by snipers if they even poped there head above the trench for a second.

so thats one possibility.

the other is, that iv also heard of troops takeing souvineers home after the war, the m16 helm was a favrite, and often what they did was to shoot it so they would have a dramatic story to tell when they got home,.

not sure how true it is, but intresting non the less,

hope you enjoy the pics.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020399.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	21810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020401.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	21811  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020402.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	21812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020403.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	21813  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020404.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	21814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020405.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	21815  

I love the WW1 German war flag and the Soviet WW2 helmet. I have been looking for a reasonably priced Soviet WW2 helmet for a while, for a uniform display.

thanks for those extra pics! The colours are awesome on that helmet.

Thanks Rod, yep. they are still very bright.. havent faded mutch

Hey Nick!

I've got helmet covers for those two brown kevlar helmets. New SANDF camo and the old brown ones... PM me.

Hi great collection keep going .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12