Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero

Article about: Apologies if the title comes across as rather cheesy, but the pieces I'm about to share here are very close to my heart, and by far the most valuable items I own. They belonged to my great g

Default My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero

Apologies if the title comes across as rather cheesy, but the pieces I'm about to share here are very close to my heart, and by far the most valuable items I own.

They belonged to my great grandfather, Patrick Kelly. A man who passed away before I was born, but who has a very significant place in my life.
    He 'joined up' on the 29th September 1941. His service took him through North Africa, Sicily and up through Italy to Greece, where he spent the remainder of the war. I believe he was also involved in the Greek Civil War, although I cannot adequately read his certificate of service to determine this.
    He was present at the Battle of Monte Cassino, which anyone with even a passing interest in the Second World War will know well. He left the Regular Army at the rank of Corporal. I have no first hand accounts of the things he experienced, as he passed before I was born, and spoke only to family members who are also no longer with us.
    All I have to know him and remember him by are this handful of trinkets, so small and yet so significant. A reminder of a man I never knew, but whom I idolize to this day. One small piece of a conflict which spanned the world, and changed the course of history.

I should note that the medals are not his. An unscrupulous family member made off with them after he died, leaving the ribbons behind. The ones above are originals that I have since purchased, though I believe the ribbons on the War and Defence medals to be reproductions. The ones beneath are his own.

Also of note is the 'U.S' pin, a small screw-back piece that I believe would have been worn on a soldier's lapel. Where it came from, I have no idea. Whether it was a token from a friend or something he simply picked up, I will never know. But it's those stories that are the most fascinating to me; the ones you can only speculate on. You can hold the pieces in your hands, think of all the things they may have witnessed, feel their significance radiating from them like an inner warmth.

Apologies for the poetics. I'm very proud and humbled to be able to share these things. Even more proud and humbled to be a direct descendant of a member of the Greatest Generation. Without further ado...

Many Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero   My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero  

My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero   My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Great Grandfather, My Only Hero
    P
    Many

Thank you for sharing these very special items with us.

Mart

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Thank you for sharing these very special items with us.

Mart
    Appreciate the kind words

MAP
    ?

A shame that someone did that, but nice to even just have the ribbons.

Nicely displayed! Great job!

Makes me feel old. It was your "great" grandfather, where for me it was just one generation removed (i.e my uncles and Aunts {WAC}, my Dad just one year shy of serving).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    A shame that someone did that, but nice to even just have the ribbons.

Nicely displayed! Great job!

Makes me feel old. It was your "great" grandfather, where for me it was just one generation removed (i.e my uncles and Aunts {WAC}, my Dad just one year shy of serving).
    Also a testament to how soon the Second World War will slip from living memory, sadly.

B.B.

Thank you for sharing your family treasure and for the passion you have to pass along his story and memories.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

mpw
    ?

Sometimes it is the smaller more insignificant pieces that are the more interesting. I have a similar collection of pieces from my late father who joined the Royal Navy in 43.
    Well done to you .

Mark.
    Last edited by mpw; 05-24-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Thank you for sharing and good for you for being interested and caring enough to keep alive the service your great grandfather gave to a grateful nation and world. Too many vets have passed away with no family and their stories have been tossed away. My great uncle served throughout WW2 on the USS Hornet. He passed away with no surviving family and all his medals and photos are lost. I remember seeing the photos as a young boy sitting on his lap looking through his albums.
    You do your great grandfather and others a great honor by carrying forth the stories into another generation, lest they be forgotten.

Thank you all for the kind words. More amazing is that even now, many surviving veterans do not look at themselves as heroes. It makes you wonder where all that humility went in the transition from their generation to mine. I'm lucky, in that my great grandfather came home when many did not.
    To quote Babe Heffron of Easy Company: 'The real heroes are the fellas that are still buried over there.'

P.S: If anyone is capable of making out the paragraph on the certificate's Conduct page, I'd be very grateful. Old-style handwriting of all types continues to escape me.

Many thanks, B.B.

MAP
    ?

The best I could do......

"A very good type of man who has proved himself to be a most effectual (?) soldier. Has a very keen sense of duty and works very well without supervision. Has a very good knowledge of his duties.
    ???? driving (?) honest ???? and reliable away ???? and ??????"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast