Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My home-away-from-home display

Article about: Here is the latest version of my display. I am currently working on a USMC uniform display... I recently acquired a canteen with USMC "dog ear" cover, and a Ka-Bar and will be addi

Default My home-away-from-home display

Hello, all!

For those of you who don't know, I have stepped away from teaching for the moment in order to take up a Resident Director position at a local college. This could eventually lead into a part-time professor role... but as of right now, I work sudent affairs in the office of Housing and Residential Life. The college is only 10mins from home and the recycling facility... so I will still be helping out there and you guys can keep an eye on the things we find in my garbage thread.

Anyway, because of my new position, the college has given me an 8person townhouse... TO MYSELF! and I'm required to live on campus. I try to live simply... so as you can imagine, there is A LOT of empty space. I've decided to bring part of my collection into my apartment to make it feel a little more like home. Making things easier, each "bedroom" in the townhouse has built in closets which to me just screams out as a display area for my collection.

I've decided to put together a small uniform display of what I think a US soldier would wear on a combat patrol. As of right now, the display consists of a front seam, fixed bale helmet, a USGI wool shirt, M36 suspenders, Garand cartridge belt (including a first aid kit, bayonet and canteen) and Garand bandolier. I've added pieces of cardboard that are roughly the same size as a Garand enbloc clip to the bandolier to make it look fully loaded.

I am adding an M43 field jacket today. I'd like to clip a grenade or two to the D-Rings on the suspenders.... Is there anything else you folks think I should add?

I think I'd also like to acquire a torso mannequin just to make the display in general look beter. As of right now, I think it looks sort of.... floppy and sloppy.

My home-away-from-home display

Questions, concerns, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 10-04-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My home-away-from-home display
    P
    Many

Default Re: My home-away-from-home display

Sorry for the low quality pic. I should also mention that firearms, etc. on campus are a big no-no on campus. Hence why the bandolier is filled with weights instead of real enbloc clips.

If I do put a grenade or two onto suspenders, they'll have to be resin copies...

?

Nice Joe I sent you a pm . Gary

Thanks, Gary! I sent a response to your PM.

Right now my small campus collection consists of a bunch of my reference books, the M1 helmet pictured as well as my late WWII/ Korea vintage USMC M1 helmet and the front seam fixed bale helmet w camo netting. I also have my USMC pith helmet, my WWII U.S. Airborne insignia, my 13th Air Force/ Far East Air Forces (FEAF) B24 bombardier grouping, Canadian helmet with net and shell dressing and my chilling Japanese prayer flag with extensive blood staining.

I'm still looking for ways to properly display/ protect the Japanese flag.

I may bring home some of my other M1 helmets and the USMC pith helmet in exchange for a German M42... decisions decisions! Maybe every few weeks or months I'll rotate things in and out of my apartment display. I'll charge admission to Joe's Campus WWII museum!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 10-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.

?

Sounds like a cool pad.

M43 Field Jacket came in the mail!

Before and after:
    My home-away-from-home displayMy home-away-from-home display

Mo suggested putting a pillow inside... and I believe it certainly helps it look a lot better! It definitely has more of a form to it...

P.S. It blows my mind how many different colors went into U.S. gear... I've heard the general consensus is that early war stuff is more khaki or tan, while late war stuff is green... but a few of my pieces go against that!

Here are some better pics:

My home-away-from-home displayMy home-away-from-home displayMy home-away-from-home displayMy home-away-from-home displayMy home-away-from-home display

Just waiting on the bayonet and then it should be done.

Can anyone suggest any additions?

?

Nice set up mate.
    Just my 2pennorth, have you thought about adding an M36 Musette bag?

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Nice set up mate.
    Just my 2pennorth, have you thought about adding an M36 Musette bag?

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Thanks for taking a look, Ian!

I actually started out wanting to put a haversack on it... but that got too complicated. As of right now, I'll describe it as my "combat patrol" display... The soldier dropped everything but his weapons and ammo.

If I can find a musette bag that goes well with the display for cheap, I'll consider adding it.

I should also note that I made a point out of not having any unit insignia... I kind of want it to represent any GI.

Hey Joe,

I just hope you look after that house better than these guys did.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My home-away-from-home display  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast