Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

My incredibly modest SS collection

Article about: If it was she'd be worth \\$10000+ and wouldn't be in my collection that's for sure!

Default Re: My incredibly modest SS collection

Input from another forum is suggesting the 'A' could be part of 'WEST WALL'.

Can't say I've ever seen a West Wall Skull ring before but with the proliferation of private purchase rings available during the TR era I guess anything is possible. Sure would be nice to one day find this particular ring in a period catalogue or advertisement.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My incredibly modest SS collection
    P
    Many

Mystery solved re the 'makers marks'!

Due to some fine advice from a ring expert on another forum my ring is definately a West Wall ring. The makers mark is actually the reverse of the West Wall inscription as per below. Amazing what you can see when you know what to look for!

My incredibly modest SS collectionMy incredibly modest SS collection

West Wall rings(both skull and otherwise) were Hugely produced in silver of all grades, bronzes, silver plated's, brass-you name it. A Very popular and patriotic design! The trooper who wore your ring must have wore the Heck out of it to wear down the inscription that quickly! The solid silvers are not all that often seen-they, no doubt, were considerably more costly than the silver plates, etc, so I don't imagine too many soldiers cared to pony up the extra bucks from their paychecks(and take away from their "beer and broads" money) and settled for the everyday rings. Maybe an officer's purchase? Great ring, in any case!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very nice items Glenn, I actually appreciate relic or salty items so much more, - well done, what you have already is something I would be proud of !!

Thanks guys and yes greimers, I am quite proud of my collection and I wish I could change the thread title to something a little less modest!

For the time being at least, here is the final update to my SS collection.

A pair of 7.92mm Mauser cartridges both dated 1938. One is headstamped 'SS' and the other 'SS-VT'. The DWM stamp indicates manufacture by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (German Weapons and Munitions Work), Berlin.

?

The collection gets better and better. Really like all the Gebirgsjäger helmet pics.

Great, that you found out the ring inscription. I thought, I saw the 'A' too, but would never have thought about it being 'WEST WALL.'

I love the mauser cartridges mate, they are fantastic! How ever did you track them down?

Nice additiond Glenn ! The cartridges are fab

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Hi Dan, thanks for the input. I guess it could be an ES but whichever way you look at it the 'S' is back to front.

As for the other letters on the forehead, I think the last one could be a D...if I stare at it long enough!
    Adolph Ditler?.....Sorry Awesome Ring Glenn, awesome collection

Phill

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast