Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My M1 Helmet and the story behind

Article about: Hello, I want to present you my M1 helmet. This helmet was worn by Charles E. Cain during the Battle of the Bulge here in Luxembourg. He was born 1920 in Ohio and joined the 25 avril 1944 th

Default Re: My M1 Helmet and the story behind

The other side: C-3553
    Look the other photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M1 Helmet and the story behind
    P
    Many

Quote by Luxembourg View Post
    The other side: C-3553
    Look the other photo
    Ahh Jeezee for me it's unusual for someone to sign with first name full then only the middle initial

Yes I agree but IMO when a such knowledgable collector would fake that, he would do it right not wrong?

Like ,like and again like

just kidding.Don't you afraid of ghost ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ahh Jeezee for me it's unusual for someone to sign with first name full then only the middle initial
    Americans sign their names in these styles,depending on what they were signing and why-the last name in full followed by the first name and middle name initial, such as "Jones, Alex P.". For variety, you might see the last name in full followed by the initials of the first name and middle name(usually done like this when space is scarce-which would not apply in this case, seeing as how it is a Helmet being marked and so would have plenty of space) Then you would have something like "Jones,A.P." The Priority being here, to identify the Majorly important Last Name, not the common as dirt First names which would tell a person nothing. I have not seen before, to my recollection a first name in full followed by the middle name initial and no last name. It would make no sense. Would you look in a Chicago phone book for "Alex P." rather than start with the name "Jones"? If one of your company mates found a piece of your kit, how would he know what your middle name was? Would he walk around asking every "Alex" that he ran into "Is this yours?"
    No, this does not look right, seeing military property marked like this...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I have not seen before, to my recollection a first name in full followed by the middle name initial and no last name.

And again, there is a "C"

That is, indeed, true-there Is a "C". However, as I described in the various styles of signing equipment and kit, the "C" is definitely not in the place that it Should be in, and further, the "C" by itself, as I also explained, would not identify it in any intelligible way at all in any case. It would be totally useless to "sign" your name and include "Only the Initial" of your last name but write out in Full your First name and Include the Middle name initial as well? Americans when marking personal property, Invariably write out their Last name. Even if they have No Room for anything else at all, the Last Name Must be written out or else it is unidentifiable for anyone finding it-which is the purpose of signing it in the first place.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4