Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My meager but meritorious SS collection

Article about: Here is my meager SS collection. I think that although I don't have a lot of items, these items are really quite neat. First is my original photo of Hitler, Sepp Dietrich and Ernst "Put

?

Default Re: My meager but meritorious SS collection

My thanks also to Eric, Ralph, Bill, William and Lazer for writing such nice things about my small collection, you guys are the best!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Heinrich Himmler wanted to rid the SS of the Maurice brothers but Hitler intervened. At that point, Himmler had he rules for SS membership changed to exclude any Jews from the SS. Maurice fell out of favor with Hitler for a while due to his romance with Geli Raubel Hitler's neice. His family likely still has some of his items as over the years, they have sold some of them off.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Heinrich Himmler wanted to rid the SS of the Maurice brothers but Hitler intervened. At that point, Himmler had he rules for SS membership changed to exclude any Jews from the SS. Maurice fell out of favor with Hitler for a while due to his romance with Geli Raubel Hitler's neice. His family likely still has some of his items as over the years, they have sold some of them off.
    Wow, I wish someone would write a book about him, I would read the heck out of it. Unfortunately I could not find such a title. Once again, sincerely, thank you Mr. Coleman, when I bought the photo Emil was thought to be Putzi, which I thought was interesting in itself(like Putzi himself). This adds a lot to the photo, the history of the Alter Kämpfer is really quite interesting and odd. Could you recommend a good title about the subject?

Edit: There is a German language book, here: Des Führers bester Freund: Amazon.de: Anna M. Sigmund: Bücher
    Last edited by Eddie; 09-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.

You have some great items there , well done

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Eddie, nice items!

I would however be a bit wary of framing them in contact with what looks like a hardboard backing. This will leach acid onto the paper and cause it to break down in time.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Eddie, nice items!

I would however be a bit wary of framing them in contact with what looks like a hardboard backing. This will leach acid onto the paper and cause it to break down in time.

Cheers, Ade.
    Yikes! Do you have any suggestions for how to keep these safe? Do I need new frames, or could I put acid free paper between the objects and the backing?

You really need new archival quality frames.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

wow, that is a really great photo. i like it.

Adrian is right about that. It looks like bad backing and I'll tell you what else... that browning along the edge is burn from acid in the material the photo has been sitting on, apparently for some time. So it really hasn't been stored correctly. The "flakiness" of the corners of the photo... this may be the paper breaking down already.

Eddie, you need to go to a quality framer. Not one of the chain places. You're in Brooklyn. Call the Shepard & Derom Gallery on East 79th in Manhattan. They sell paintings and not photos, but I do business with them and they're nice people and they DEFINITELY know how to conserve. They can give you a recommendation. Tell them you need someone who can frame a rare photograph the right way.

You can do it yourself. You're looking for acid free matting and backing and you're looking for "museum glass". It blocks UV and if you're going to have that framed you need that. Tell this stuff to whomever Shepard & Durom send you too and it will get done right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12