Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My modest collection..

Article about: Hello all. I have been a "lurker" of this forum for awhile now as I like military history and, for some reason, am most intrigued by the European theater of WW II. Thus, this site

Default My modest collection..

Hello all. I have been a "lurker" of this forum for awhile now as I like military history and, for some reason, am most intrigued by the European theater of WW II. Thus, this site has come in handy on a number of occasions. So I figured I'd introduce myself.

I obtained the water tablet canister and the ring to the far right from a russian "battlefield hunter" who claimed to have found them on a field near Stalingrad. I believe the ring on the left to be a replica (but still neat to have). Finally the silver bar and coin. I enjoy the silver bar the most! (hopefully the pics come across ok)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My modest collection..   My modest collection..  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My modest collection..
    P
    Many

Default Re: My modest collection..

Hello, Jaydow ! Welcome to the forum !

I am sorry to say, the 5 Mark coin is the only thing related to the Third Reich period, IMO..........

The silver bar is a definite fake and the 'tablet tube' is most probably civilian in nature.
    You might find something like this while roaming a rural dump, or in the basement of
    an old house today, however it is possible to have once been used by a soldier,
    but there is no real evidence or proof.

Most of the fellows on the Forum would be likely to say 'Buy the item - Not the story'.

The best ways to know for sure is if you dug the item yourself, or there are photos
    of the dig with the item(s) in question shown in the photo at the site where
    it was found in it's original strata.

The worn looking skull ring has potential...........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi, thank you for the welcome and the input. I must say I'm disappointed to hear the bar is not authentic. It came w/ a cert of authenticity, but I am fully aware that can be b/s too. that's a drag

on a side note I posted pics of the worn skull ring over in the trench art section, and thus far the consensus is it's real.

Jaydow, I hope I have not made you discouraged about collecting !
    We have all been down 'Repro Road' at one time or another,
    so do continue your hunt for artifacts and memorabilia.

There has been some discussion on silver bars within the forum
    some months ago that you might like to see. It would appear
    that it is a way for unscrupulous people to try to turn a few
    dollars worth of silver into a few hundred dollars with
    a couple of eagle and waffenamt stamps.

I recall reading that it would be illegal to acquire or own
    a genuine TR silver or gold bar. I think there is a photo
    of a real gold bar too.

For some reason, I cannot come up with anything
    in 'search' mode.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post

Apparently, it is illegal to acquire or own a genuine
    TR silver or gold bar.
    Wow, now THAT I was completely unaware of. I'm glad I joined and posted up! and I'll search for the other threads regarding the bar. ty!

I've seen the bars and rings many times.

the "silver" bars are found around here where I live constantly. Always some story about "old German guy's family found a briefcase full of them in basement". Likely, it's silver-plated, if at all.

The rings all look like the fakes that are coming out of Latvia/Lithuania/Lilliputia or whatever they are these days. Typical Baltic States scammer junk.

the only real rings I have seen are WW1 vet ones. Until I get proof, every "death's head" ring is fake.

Sorry you got taken by "the story". After years of collecting, I stay away from regualr sites and non-verified items. Stick to reputable dealers or have the items vetted by other collectors before you bite next time!

Wolf, yes, i've tried searching here (and google et al.) and have come up w/ nothing.

Uber, thanks for the input. i admit its discouraging, but thats life. i bough the "skull ring" from a Volgograd resident who goes out on digs. so i'm really hoping he didnt fib about it. but sadly he had no "in field" photos. one might argue that it would silly NOT to take an "in field" photo of a find like that. but i'm inclined to believe this guy doesnt HAVE a camera.