Become our sponsor and display your banner here

My new belt buckle collection...

Article about: Well, after a few years away from collecting I started collecting belt buckles at the end of May, beginning of June. I'm afraid the addiction has returned, if you really ever lose it. The co

Default My new belt buckle collection...

Well, after a few years away from collecting I started collecting belt buckles at the end of May, beginning of June. I'm afraid the addiction has returned, if you really ever lose it.

The collection is sitting at 40 buckles, 15 with belts. Including a few denaz and post war but it's a start... I'll post pics soon of my old collections, German helmsts, bayonets, deacts etc. etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUCKLES-LW004a.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	553533  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Wow some great buckles and a great start, I am interested to see what your previous collection was like

Are you going to stick with belts & buckles only this time Lenny?
    I try to concentrate on equipment and helmets but find myself buying anything that strikes my fancy ........

Cheers, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Are you going to stick with belts & buckles only this time Lenny?
    I try to concentrate on equipment and helmets but find myself buying anything that strikes my fancy ........
    Cheers, Dan
    Well, that's the question isn't it? Many many years ago I started on British Army Cap Badges, but got fed up so ended up trading for other things. Then it was variety, anything and everything military. Then it was just WW1 and WW2, then it was German bayonets, then deacts, then ordnance, then.. etc. etc. etc. I settled on German helmets for a few years, but they all went around the time of my seperation/divorce. When I think of the things I had that I'll never get back... Sigh...

I never got rid of my reference books, which I'm glad of. I've got some hard to replace books, and although I got rid of my collection I still had the passion for military history. I had started a militaria forum in about 1998, the MCN and sadly I lost interest in that and it finally folded a couple of years ago. I still visited museums, watched documentaries etc. etc. but I'd lost the addiction or desire to collect, too much money and fakes about, especially in helmets.

As I've always said, you never truly lose the addiction, it's like a disease, lying dormant to break free at any moment... Now that I've re-married, been made redundant, started freelancing, converted garage into office I decided I wanted a few things to "decorate" my office. (I'm a freelance photographer/ Cameraman / Editor.) So, every office should have a bit of a shot down German plane in it...

Once that was in the office, I dug my old reference books out my loft and that was the fatal mistake, then the addiction was well and truly rekindled.. I wondered what to collect, it had to be relatively cheap, small and interesting. I had thought of ordnance, but Mills Bombs etc. are really hard to pick up now. I know a few dealers/collectors/sources for militaria so I put the word out I was back into collecting. I'd always liked buckles, but a few friends put me off. They reckoned that the fakes were so good now that a lot of collectors had given up on buckles. I used to email correspond with Jack Angolia about 10 or 12 years back, and I dug out his book. I read it cover to cover again, and was well and truly hooked. Ok, the fakes might be better, but with research and a great forum such as this, the odds are stacked in your favour.

So, here we are a few months down the line and I'm glad I decided on buckles, there is such a variety... Of course I've also picked up a few other pieces, like a few Mills Bombs and a Notek which is soon to be converted into a desk lamp mounted on a gas mask container...

I have to say, I've been on most of the forums over the years, (still on WA) as well as running my own forum, and this is the friendlest, most helpful forum around. Cheers guys, appreciaste all your help, advice, and cameraderie...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	553544  

Nice bunch Lenny being a avaition man I love that Luft Aircraft part. timothy

Quote by timothy View Post
    Nice bunch Lenny being a avaition man I love that Luft Aircraft part. timothy
    Err... afraid it's repro. I knew a few aircraft restorers who were restoring a well known Spitfire, destined for a museum. I got chatting to the guy who painted the planes and it turned out he did homers. If I got a part of skinning then he would paint what I wanted. I knew a guy who was breaking a few 70's civil aircraft and with trusty still saw he allowed me to cut a peice of an engine cowling. And a few weeks later, hey presto...

Well, the collection has grown a little bit and I've tried to stick to buckles, but well, I lapsed a little bit....

Name:	collection.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	597620