Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My other hobby....but still WW2 :)

Article about: Hi guys This forum looks like the best place to put this. I thought i'd share with you my other hobby. As a young lad I, like many others of my generation made airfix kits. At that age they

Default Re: My other hobby....but still WW2 :)

Many thanks for all your comments guys.......it is much appreciated. I think we all should keep the kid inside us alive !!

Anyway, here are the models I made prior to moving onto the diorama. I had always wanted to move on from the 1/72nd scale Airfix models to the BIG 1/24th scale ones, but somehow my paper round money always seemed to go on other things.

I told my wife about this in passing one day and, 2 months later, bless her, I got the 1/24th Spitfire for my birthday !!!! The Hurricane and Messerschmitt were added within a couple of months.

Looking back on them now I see them as 'trials' for the diorama. My painting skills weren't as honed....nor my mastery of the damn glue pot. But still.....not bad attempts I think . They sit on top of the wardrobe in my computer/war room.

Firstly the Spitfire. As with all these models I insist on painting every little detail, even the bits you can't normally see ! The pilot is fully kitted out as is the engine. Only flaw with this one is I didn't paint the struts in the canopy for some reason.

Now the Hurricane......Much better at the detail on this one and a steadier hand as well

And lastly the Messerschmitt. I am afraid it was this model when i lost my love affair with Airfix and shifted to Tamiya models. The kit didn't fit together right and required a lot of modification. Also, most of the decals fell apart before I could so much as touch them. Hence why there are no markings on the wings (although you can see the stain where i tried applying one on the port wing but that too fell to bits), and the ones on the fuselage are cracked and falling to bits.

However, I did get practice at 'mottling' and fine detail so I suppose it wasn't all bad

Anyways....there ya go. 6 foot 3 and still 12 inside

relichunter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My other hobby....but still WW2 :)
    P
    Many

Very nice!
    I know the feeling, I am 6.1 feet and I have just sold my HO Marklin train & faller car systeme, form the 60'ties..... and I MIS IT!!!
    But I still have my Palitoy Action Man (60'ties as well) collection!!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Dimitri
    ?

The wife shouldn't laugh. Thats an awsome thing you've made and it should be treasured. I think its amazing.

Great work,nice details.Keep us up to date on the new projects.

Looks vere nice, I'm building models my self, have don that in 15 years, but was forst to clean out when I became father Now I building a 1:40 German type XXI U-Boat! As a model builder my self I realy like what you have don here!

?

Very nice.

I also am a big fan of model building and have been for years.
    I will get a few pics of my creations up shortly.
    Currently working on an Afrika Korps diorama with a Panzer IV and a Sdkfz 232 8 rad.

1/40th U-Boat ? WOW !!! That'll be amazing ! Post pic's when you've completed it.

And yes bmoore....post some pics !!!

relichunter

?

My other hobby as well.
    I will do this in several posts.
    First an BF109E In the North Africa Campaign.
    The Pilot is Hans-Joachim Marseille.
    Scale 1/32 Old Airfix kit doctored up a bit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My other hobby....but still WW2 :)   My other hobby....but still WW2 :)  

My other hobby....but still WW2 :)   My other hobby....but still WW2 :)  

?

SBD Dauntless Battle of Coral Sea USS Lexington

1/32 Scale Detailed Cockpits and 30 cal. guns
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My other hobby....but still WW2 :)   My other hobby....but still WW2 :)  

My other hobby....but still WW2 :)   My other hobby....but still WW2 :)  

?

A couple of 1/72 scale Revell U-Boats Type VIIC

One is a work in progress. Water diorama...

And coming up shortly...1/35 scale King Tiger...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast