Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My small collection!

Article about: Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd join in and post a couple of pics of my little collection. I've only been collecting for just over 6 months. I was made redundant on 24th D

Default Re: My small collection!

Yes I bloody do !

If you don't search it at some point in the next couple of weeks I'll bloody come and search it !

Get some old photos of the airbase and pinpoint the areas in the grassland where the buildings were, especially crew quarters. All aircrew dropped lots of coins, buttons, badges, medals, collar tabs, cartridges, bits of aircraft......LOADS of stuff. If you do your research and pinpoint the right areas, I expect you'll be very pleased with what you find.

EDIT - Just had another look on google earth. You can just make out the 'cross' of the runways in the grassed area. To the south west side there are some trees. In amongst the tress I can make out where the foundations of the buildings were !!!!! This has GOT to be the place to start.

Good luck !

Steve T

PS and post your finds in the forum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My small collection!
    P
    Many

Steve.... your a legend!! I'm gonna have a drive down there after tea!

I'll post my finds this evening!

?

Also the garbage holes is most interesting areas, you can find there a lot of interesting items, even the orders and medals
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Woody,

Don't forget that along with High Ercall, Burtonwood was one of the biggest scrapyards in the world, certainly Europe, for all sorts of aircraft types including American after the war. It was also a 'transit' aerodrome for American a/c during the war. I wouldn't mind betting theres loads of great stuff just waiting to be found!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Dimas and Ned,

Thanks for the advice fella's. I'll honestly be greatful for any item I can find, big or small!

This will be the first time that I've detected on a decent site, so any hints and tips are greatfully received!

Hopefully I'll have a good few finds to show you guys later. I'm leaving in an hour!

Woody

Kar98k
    ?

WoodyUK: Congratulations on starting a collection. You have have nice looking materials there. Please give us some information on that Kar98k rifle, such as manufacturer and date.

Unfortunately in the U.S. we do not have the opportunities to metal detect and dig crashed German aircraft. That has to be an interesting thing to do.

I have been collecting German WW-One and WW-Two stuff since I was a kid, and some of the WW-Two ex-G.I.s in my home town would give me things they picked up while on tour in Europe. I shall attempt to attach some photos of some of the material that I have. I have a lot of stuff, and I don't know what sort of photo quality that this web site can digest. Cheers, Kar98k.

Kar98k
    ?

Hmmm. I am trying to solve the mystery of how to upload photos. I'll try it again.

Kar98k
    ?

Sorry fellas, I do not seem to be able to upload/attach a photo. Help.

Hi, steveT, woodyUK is quite right, i suspect the Google earth photo,s are now out of date, i was horrified on a recent trip along the M62 to the Liverpool arms fair to see the last two B17 hangers completly flattened !....as far as im aware there is nothing left to indicate that one of the largest supply base's that the U.S. had in Europe. was at that location (scandalous)...i believe the museum/visitor centre was closed down some years back.
    Regards, ORADOUR.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Yes I bloody do !

If you don't search it at some point in the next couple of weeks I'll bloody come and search it !

Get some old photos of the airbase and pinpoint the areas in the grassland where the buildings were, especially crew quarters. All aircrew dropped lots of coins, buttons, badges, medals, collar tabs, cartridges, bits of aircraft......LOADS of stuff. If you do your research and pinpoint the right areas, I expect you'll be very pleased with what you find.

EDIT - Just had another look on google earth. You can just make out the 'cross' of the runways in the grassed area. To the south west side there are some trees. In amongst the tress I can make out where the foundations of the buildings were !!!!! This has GOT to be the place to start.

Good luck !

Steve T

PS and post your finds in the forum

Right.... I've been.... and I'm shattered now! lol

I found a few bits and pieces. I'm gonna clean them up in the morning, and I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast