Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My small collection!

Article about: Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd join in and post a couple of pics of my little collection. I've only been collecting for just over 6 months. I was made redundant on 24th D

Default My small collection!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd join in and post a couple of pics of my little collection.

I've only been collecting for just over 6 months. I was made redundant on 24th Dec (merry christmas eh) so I've had vast amounts of time on my hands, and I decided to finally get to grips with my hobby.... much to the delight of the missus!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My small collection!   My small collection!  

My small collection!   My small collection!  

My small collection!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My small collection!
    P
    Many

Thumbs up Re: My small collection!

Hi Woody

We all started somewhere years ago, give it some time and you will have a booming collection before you know it. In what kind of direction do you want to collect (German, English, American, USSR, ...)?

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Default Re: My small collection!

hiya woody

nice collection some nice relic pieces as well its a very good start keep it up mate

i would like to see more of the US M1 lids you have there as it one of my fav helmets

Hi Nick,

To be honest I'll collect absoltely anything asociated with WW2, whether it's British, American, German, Russian or any others.

Most of my items are dug relic items, inc quite a few aircraft crash relics... Ju88, Ju88 Mistel, Hawker Hurricane, B-17, Me109, Lancaster, Whitley (1st casualty of an enemy intruder over Britain)

Unfortunatly, my budget is very limited at the moment due to being made redundant from my job. Hopefully I can purchase better items once back in employment.

Woody

Hi Nick (this could get confusing)

Thanks mate. I think I've done fairly well for 6 months. Although I still want lots more! lol

Yeah, not a problem mate... I'll take some pics of the M1 lids for you.

Woody

Woody

There is still TONS of WW2 relics laying around in the UK. Do you have a metal detector ? If you do you must try old air bases and gunnery ranges. You'll be amazed at what you can find.........even German items !

Check out what I have found over the last 18 months.........

Collection cupboard re-vamp !

Steve T

?

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Hi Nick (this could get confusing)

Thanks mate. I think I've done fairly well for 6 months. Although I still want lots more! lol

Yeah, not a problem mate... I'll take some pics of the M1 lids for you.

Woody
    thanks mate

you have done extremely well for just 6 months worth of collecting

Bloooooooody hell Steve!!!!!! That's some haul!!!! Very impressive indeed!!

Yea, I bought a metal detector a few months back, although I'm struggling to find places to detect!

There used to be an RAF/American air base just down the road from me - Burtonwood Airbase - but sadly it's long since been flattened and re-developed. Other than that I'm at a dead end!

Oooh, actually, I've discovered where the local POW Camp was, and I'm waiting to have a rummage in there. The problem is, it's waist high in brambles and stinging nettles, but I've got a friend who is a landscape gardener, and he's offered to come with me and cut everything back with his petrol strimmer. Hopefully I'll have that place done pretty soon.

Woody

Woody

I've just had a look at Burtonwood airbase on wikipedia. You need to get yourself there and FAST !!! It was the biggest airbase in Europe and was also used as a gunnery range post war.

Have a look on google earth......south of Burtonwood village and zoom in on the M62. There are at least 5 hangers still there and you can clearly make out the runway and at least 8 'spectacles'. To the south of the M62 is a huge area with nothing on it but grass.

Research it a bit more and pick some likely spots to search. I will guarentee that place is STUFFED with finds.

RAF Burtonwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burtonwood Airbase, England Photo Gallery by Ian Miller at pbase.com

Burtonwood Air Base (Hansard, 3 May 1995)

USAF Burtonwood Air Base - World War II Forums

Steve T

PS and yes....I have found alot Research is the key !!!

Cheers Steve,

Sadly the remaining hangers and area to the north of the M62 has been completely flattened.... they've even ripped up the taxi ways! (the m62 was constructed over the runway)

The area to the south of the m62 has been massively redeveloped since the airbase closed down, and the firing range - along with the majority of the former base - is now housing estates.

The only area left is the grassed area you mentioned next to the motorway. That used to be taxi ways and lots of buildings/huts/living quarters.

Do you think it's worth a mooch then?

Woody

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast