Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My (soon to be) navy collection

Article about: My grandfather is passing on a box of stuff from his days in the Navy (WWII) to me since I am the only one in the family who is interested. I thought I would share with all of you: His Navy

Default My (soon to be) navy collection

My grandfather is passing on a box of stuff from his days in the Navy (WWII) to me since I am the only one in the family who is interested. I thought I would share with all of you:

His Navy Seabees Pin (He gave me at my wedding:

I'm unsure of what the patch with the bird on it is. The 10th mountain patch and marksmanship badge were my Uncle Glenn's who was killed at the battle of Po Valley. I will also be receiving his purple heart and his 48 star flag down the line.

A Japanese flag he brought back, and his seabees pennant. As well as some of his paperwork and whatnot.

Some Kimono's he brought back from the Pacific theater:

It's not much, but it will be displayed proudly next to my awards and whatnot on the wall.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My (soon to be) navy collection
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My (soon to be) navy collection

Good to know that somebody in the family will keep these items close to home.

Regards,

Carl

Indeed. I'd hate to know what other people would do with it. I know one of my cousins wanted my Uncle's purple heart to wear around as a fashion statement which makes me sick (granted he was in highschool at the time, but still). My grandpa almost let him, I'm glad he changed his mind.

Also, the patch I wasn't sure about is a ruptured duck. Amazing what you can find with Google.

Very cool stuff ! The diamond shaped eagle patch is the 'Ruptured Duck'
    Honourable Discharge insignia, worn on the right chest
    above the pocket.........

Edit: A minute late - I see you've already found out what it is !
    Regards,

Steve.

The patch with the bird is the ruptured duck.

"Shortly after WWII ended recently discharged members were issued these patches to be worn on the right breast of their service uniforms so they wouldn't be pestered by overly officious military and civil police as suspected deserters and a convenience for the often forgotten conscientious law enforcement officials. This was necessary because so few veterans possessed civilian clothing for traveling back to their homes of record; and there was little of it for sale on the market due to the fact that the garment industry had been geared for wartime production of military clothing for the previous three and a half years."
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Not much?? That's a Beauty of a Sterling silver and enamel Seabee pin! Definitely not a common item!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I've seen that seabees cloth before. I was on American pickers. The seller gave some story about how some jap family made it for one of the soldiers. Guess that story was made up :/ Great items. Congrats

The seabee's cloth from what I can gather is a pillow cover (just from doing some google searches). Unfortunately, his uniform was stolen and he lent a sword to his nephew and never got it back.