Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Article about: M1 Carbine. Underwood manufactured in 1943. Has that "well used" look but serial on stock matches the one on the metal. It seems that these were fairly common a few years back, may

?

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

303rd Bomb Group, 360th Bomb Squadron. 8th Air Force.
    Rank: Captain and pilot on mission to the railway marshalling yards at Saabrucken, Germany. B-17 hit by flak and went down.
    He was also awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross and Air medal which I would like to add to his Purple Heart. If anyone knows the whereabouts of them please feel free to contact me. Hopefully they survive and in better condition than his Purple Heart.
    I have found a crew picture (Pilot is back row, far left) and picture of aircraft's nose art.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    P
    Many

Rob, i just want to say that it was a real pleasure looking at your PH collection. thank you for taking the time to post them. im glad to see that the sacrifice of these men not be forgotten and forever cherished. i also like that you have their unit/division patch with each medal/group. that's how i try to display my groups and individuals as well.

?

Quote by medalman90 View Post
    Rob, i just want to say that it was a real pleasure looking at your PH collection. thank you for taking the time to post them. im glad to see that the sacrifice of these men not be forgotten and forever cherished. i also like that you have their unit/division patch with each medal/group. that's how i try to display my groups and individuals as well.
    Medalman90
    No problem and I'm glad people like to see them. I have more to put on here and will continue to do so as my collection (hopefully) grows.
    Cheers.
    Rob

?

This one is to a Pilot (1st LT) of a B-24J of the 44th Bomb Group, 506th Bomb Squadron. 8th Air Force.
    departed from Shipdham, England on April 8th 1944 on bombing mission to Langenhagen Aerodrome, Germany.
    Plane was shot down by enemy fighters over Germany and most, if not all, 10 crew managed to bail out.
    There is some confusion as to his exact cause of death and extent of injuries. There are eyewitness reports from crew members saying that he did not bail out and other crew members saying that he was heard on the ground and then shot by his would be captors. There are also German records saying that he died in the crash and that his skull was completely crushed. Probably never know for sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Robbo some more fine groups....where do you pick these up....

Wery nice .

?

Quote by Robbo View Post
    I will not be posting the names of recipients as I do not wish this thread to be searchable in search engines but they will be visible in the pictures.
    To re-iterate the request of Rob, please to not name the recipients in your replies as he does not want the names to be visible in search engine results.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

p47dpilotmedal
    ?

My comment on your 11-14-12, 6:31 p.m. post “Battle of the Bulge 9th AF Purple Heart P-47 Pilot KIA 27/12/1944” has been deleted; evidently because I used the name of the pilot. A relative had found the photos in your post, and also photos of what appears to be the same items on a U.S. site, The US Militaria Forum, posted by trenchbuff at 11:20 a.m. on 19 May 2012. I had wanted you to know that the pilot’s Purple Heart medal and his Certificate are in a museum. I had contacted the museum to confirm that the items were still there, before I joined this site in order to comment on your post.

?

Quote by p47dpilotmedal View Post
    My comment on your 11-14-12, 6:31 p.m. post “Battle of the Bulge 9th AF Purple Heart P-47 Pilot KIA 27/12/1944” has been deleted; evidently because I used the name of the pilot. A relative had found the photos in your post, and also photos of what appears to be the same items on a U.S. site, The US Militaria Forum, posted by trenchbuff at 11:20 a.m. on 19 May 2012. I had wanted you to know that the pilot’s Purple Heart medal and his Certificate are in a museum. I had contacted the museum to confirm that the items were still there, before I joined this site in order to comment on your post.
    Hi.
    I am aware of this medal on the USMF as thats where I obtained it. It is without doubt this mans posthumous Purple Heart. The one in the museum is most likely a replacement, from a prior wound or a representative example. The medal in my posession came from
    anestate sale in North Dakota (the recipients state) and I know of all 3 keepers since it came to me. The certificate will be his though. I would be interested in knowing the name of the museum as I would like to request a picture of the medal which will tell all. I have sent you a PM.
    All the information on the original aquisition of the medal came from the poster on the USMF.
    Cheers.
    Rob

p47dpilotmedal
    ?

Quote by Robbo View Post
    Hi.
    I am aware of this medal on the USMF as thats where I obtained it. It is without doubt this mans posthumous Purple Heart. The one in the museum is most likely a replacement, from a prior wound or a representative example. The medal in my posession came from
    anestate sale in North Dakota (the recipients state) and I know of all 3 keepers since it came to me. The certificate will be his though. I would be interested in knowing the name of the museum as I would like to request a picture of the medal which will tell all. I have sent you a PM.
    All the information on the original aquisition of the medal came from the poster on the USMF.
    Cheers.
    Rob
    Thank you for your reply and the PM. I had sent you a PM in response that was posted on July 28th, but have not heard back from you. As I had told you in that message (which included contact information for the museum), I had called the museum on July 26th, and requested a photo of the back of the medal. They agreed to do so, but later called back, and said that the medal was not there. As I had written in my PM to you: "Trenchbuff had said on The US Militaria Forum that the medal came from a 'rural South Dakota estate sale'. Do you know the name of the estate, and if so, do you know whether it was a private sale or an auction? I would be very interested in knowing how this medal came to be sold."

Thank you.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast