Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Article about: M1 Carbine. Underwood manufactured in 1943. Has that "well used" look but serial on stock matches the one on the metal. It seems that these were fairly common a few years back, may

?

Default My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

I will be posting some of my collection on here as time allows so check back every so often if it interests you. My main focus is WW2 U.S Army Air Force and I try and focus further on the 8th and 9th AF. It is hard to focus particularly when you can't find anything so other, non AAF items will appear. Some members particularly those in the U.S may recognise some of these!!
    I will not be posting the names of recipients as I do not wish this thread to be searchable in search engines but they will be visible in the pictures. Hope you like them and comments and questions are welcome.
    Ok 3 to kick off....

A/C B-17G
    306TH BG 368TH BS(H) from Thurleigh, England.
    Bombing mission to Bernberg (airfield), Germany.
    KIA 22/2/1944
    Rank and position: T/Sgt Engineer and top turret.My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    Attacked by enemy fighters. Last seen strapping on chute but did not exit before A/C exploded at about 12.000 feet.
    Last edited by Robbo; 11-14-2012 at 06:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

A/C B-17G
    94TH BG 410TH BS(H)
    Bombing mission to Brunswick, Germany.
    KIA 23/3/1944
    Rank and position: S/Sgt Engineer and Left Waist Gunner.
    Ditched in the English Channel and all aircrew picked up by British Air/Sea Rescue. Unfortunately to P-47's from 356th FG mistook the rescue boat for a German patrol and attacked it killing all on board including boat crew.
    Plane in picture is the one in question taken about 2 weeks prior.

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Dude what a great set (x2) the purple hearts are mint and goverment ingraved, getting harded to find..(for the right $$) thanks for taking the time to post...
    i just picked up 2 PH from the states this month, they havent arrived yet...

?

Last one for today. Battle of the Bulge 9th AF Purple Heart.
    P-47 Pilot KIA 27/12/1944.
    Ground Support Mission, intended destination was Bastogne, Belgium. A/C was shot down to the SW of Bastogne by enemy ground forces while dropping napalm on an armoured column. Aircraft was seen to be smoking badly. After attempts to radio the pilot were unsuccessful, the A/C rolled over and spun into the ground.

As I said, more to follow soon(ish)

Cheers.
    Rob

?

Post them when they get to you. Do you know much on the recipients??

?

Nice sets Rob, how many Purple Hearts do you have now?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Ummm..41 with 2 more in the pipline. Just did a brief mental add up of what they cost. I need to sit down. Thats not counting the DFC's, Air medals and Bronze Stars that go with some of them and a few helmets and flight headgear and deactivated guns etc etc. This could end up being a lengthy thread!

?

Ok some more for Saturday night.

From Dent Co. OHIO
    KIA 22/1/1945 LUZON P.I
    6th Infantry, Div 20th Inf Reg
    Cause of death: GSW occiput area (back of head)
    Purple Heart exhibits textbook Government small machine engraving.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

From Lawrence, Mass.
    77th Inf Div, 305th Inf Reg
    DOW (died of wounds) sustained in the assault on Okinawa.
    Was on hospital ship U.S.S Solace at time of death.
    Another example of small machine engraving.My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupingsMy U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

?

Last one tonight. Another nice small machine engraved PH to a soldier from the 66th Inf Batt, 12th Armored Div.
    From Marin Co. California.
    KIA 9/4/1945 Shell Fragment Wound left side and back. According to action reports the Division was pushing into central Germany at this time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Attached Images Attached Images My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings 

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast