MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My WW2 Collection, some facinating and rare items (I think)

Article about: that would be great thanks, a lot of the cap badges were from my nan again, so i very much doubt they were fake. as for the HG badge, D Evans gave it to me so im unsure why its a female one,

?

Default My WW2 Collection, some fascinating and rare items (I think)

Hi guys,

Since being about 8 or 9 years old (am 26 now) I have always been facinated by the 2nd world war,

My Great Uncle was in the Royal Artillary and gave me all of his WW2 belongings when he was still alive, he was a Hulk of a man at 6ft 4 and really was a gentle giant, His name was Douglas Evan #11000401 , he received his medals a LONG time after the was IIRC it was in the 1990's . he left me his pocket book, his shaving mirror, his Belt, his medals, his lapel, and many other interesting pieces. below

Another member of my family who served in WW2 was my Grand father Arthur Parsons , he died in 2003 IIRC, he served in a secret unit which was not known until 1997 when they were finally awarded their medals for their work, they were called the Home Guard Elite Auxiliary Unit, the unit he enlisted in was based in Cheddar, Somerset . They were draughted in due to the imminent invasion of England by the Germans, his job would be to sabotage German machinery and be a resistance force, they were armed to the teeth with explosives, revolvers, daggers, sub machine guns, Cheese wire, and were taught many skills including how to kill a German using his own helmet in one swoop, Again my Grandfather left me his medals, indentity car and a lot of paperwork and other effects .

The last member of my collection is Cpl "Walt" Williams #998022 , He was somehow related to my Grandmother but i never knew how. He was sadly killed in action in the last few weeks of the war, In the letter from his superior it stated he was killed by a German tank, apparently he was in a Mortar crew,
    My grandmother gave me all of his effects as she knew my keen interest in WW2 and hated the thought of them locked in the safe,

along with the medals etc , there are love letters, details of his war grave and a copy of the "calling gibraltar" message his wife sent to him.

When on a trip to Jersey in my teens i also bought 2 German medals , I also have a field radio which is still in working order (or so i am told) , an ARP Helmet, and a german helmet (i have been told the lid is original but the paint and sticker are not)

I have included pictures of cap badges and other items i have in my collection

Hope you like my collection, feel free to ask any questions,if you would like more pictures please feel free to ask and i will post more up and scan paperwork , also if anyone could find out the movements of these relatives during the war i would love to find out, if anyone knows values of anything please feel free to post up, i would never sell the items however its always interesting to know,

Many thanks

Jim

D.Evans Belt (has Evans stamped on inside also)

D Evans Home Guard Badge

D Evans Medals

A Parsons, Unit badge , is there any further info on this?

A Parsons Medal

W Williams Medals

bought medals

other items any info?

Last edited by Gouldy; 12-14-2010 at 01:33 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My WW2 Collection, some facinating and rare items (I think)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My WW2 Collection, some facinating and rare items (I think)

two German medals i bought

D Evans Lapel and Effects of W Williams

W Williams on Right

Letter of death W Williams

A Parsons Identity Card

D Evans Duty free concession form

W Williams, bloody donor booklet

W Williams letter from King

W Williams, postcard

W Williams family letter from church

D Evans, royal artillery signals book

D Evans , Shaving mirror

D Evans medal delivery box

?

Field Radio

not sure on this

W Williams Unit

Hi, Gouldy, and welcome to the Forum !

Some nice pieces you have, especially since they are family, and you have
    good photos of them.

I should point out that the ribbon on the Iron Cross is incorrect, and that
    the decal is definitely bad on the M42 helmet - it is an early pre-war
    pattern eagle on a late war lid. Also, original 'Air Crew Europe'
    medals are getting very pricy these days !

I have a near identical mirror I recieved after my father passed in 1980,
    and I've been using it to shave these past 30 years..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

what ribbon should it be steve? as i would like to rectify this, not overly worried with regards to the lid as it was only £25 about 7 years ago, i just loved the look of it

thanks for the info

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    what ribbon should it be steve? as i would like to rectify this, not overly worried with regards to the lid as it was only £25 about 7 years ago, i just loved the look of it

thanks for the info
    The EKII ribbon has a very wide red central stripe, flanked by white and black
    stripes at the edges. I think the one that is on yours is for a Hindenberg
    'non-combatant' cross, which are not that common.

Search the Forum, or google the crosses and you will see.
    There may also be members who could sell you one.

Your M42 shell was a decent price..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

thanks buddy!

Look on the interior rim of the M42 helmet for maker, size and lot# markings,
    and also on the rings of the two German medals for maker codes, if any.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

the M42 has 5511 stamped on the inside at the back, has something above it but its unclear

cant seem to find any marks on the medals at all, so they may be fakes i think, shame as family members bought them for me :?

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum and thanks for showing your family items which are always very special. The pic showing the non regulation use of RA colar dogs on the BD was nice to see.

No worries on the EKII and KVKII. both look fine. A lack of maker marks does not always equal fake.

The field telephone will possibly work, these can be rigged up with a couple of batteries.

The number on the helmet will be the lot (production) number.

A couple of the postcards are WW1 in date. The plastic Home Guard Auxiliary badge was usually worn by females.

If you need the cap badges identified, I can help.

The shaving mirror was a private purchase item.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast